Green and frustrated

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Bvancs4
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24x52 above ground intex pool. Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 16-inch, 110-120V

Green and frustrated

Postby Bvancs4 » Sun 16 Jul, 2017 21:22

I need some help! Intel pump that came with my 24x52 died, replaced with Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 16-inch, 110-120V with GFCI( totally copied and pasted that :lol: ) my pool went 6 days without a filter/pump. When the new pump arrived the pool was dark green. I added 4 gallons of liquid chlorine from Walmart. Followed pump directions and turned pump on at 6hour timer. I backwashed when psi went into yellow on the indicator. Vacuuming and brushing pool blindly daily... forgive me as I am not "pool smart " and only have the HTH test kit (TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD on order an will be here Wednesday) and I used google which from reading the forums here has left me worse off then a green pool! Fast forward to today, the pump ran at 6hrs for 3 days until last night I turned it to stay on. Each day I added chemicals. 3.25lbs of Clorox shock with algaecide 2 days in a row and yesterday 4 gallons of liquid chlorine from Walmart. The pool has stayed green.. I tested an got 7.5 ph and Cya 55. the chlorine indicator turned dark orange when I added the 5 yellow drops. I'm guessing that means the chlorine is way higher than the highest level of 5 indicated. My question is.... what the heck do I do?! I won't know my exact chlorine numbers for 3 more days. Nothing I have done has changed the green color of the pool... I cannot see the bottom to accurately remove anything from the bottom of the pool... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Green and frustrated

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 17 Jul, 2017 11:24

Hi
Congratulations you are doing the right thing by getting the Taylor test Kit
You need to Slam Shock Level And Maintain
First you need to find your shock level for your CYA as in Chlorine / CYA Chart, your assumed CYA of 55 would be 22ppm way above the highest level you currently have (This is why you need the Taylor Kit)
I would suggest you stock up on liquid chlorine, keep the chlorine coming in and brush everywhere to loosen up the algae
Check out the pool math at the end of this post to tell you how much is needed
Backwash when the filter pressure gets to 20-25% higher than the clean pressure, which will be quiet a lot with your pond
Usefull links
Pool School
Pool Levels
Pool Maths
Good luck

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”