Swimming Pool Algae

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
jdogg

Re: Swimming Pool Algae

Postby jdogg » Wed 27 Apr, 2016 13:55

It has been my experience that to get rid of algea you must add algicide and shock the pool.

CarolCPalmer
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I am a resident of Ontario. Short course swimming pool which is 25 yardsand 75 feet long. I am very passionate about swimming my husband too. I regularly do the maintenance work for my swimming pool. I also ensure the cleanliness ofmy pool.

Postby CarolCPalmer » Thu 26 May, 2016 04:05

I had pool which had green water. I struggled hard to get my tank as beautiful as before.
lol

Postby lol » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 04:03

Thanks for sharing and looking for more..
welld
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Dimensions : 10 x 20, 15 x 30, and 20 x 40, Gunite, Sand Filter Pump

Postby welld » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 22:49

Algae, in general, can be harmful to human beings. I have a swimming pool which was built by an inground pool builder from brampton http://www.poolhelpforum.com/areas-serviced/swimming-pool-builders-contractors-brampton/ and last year I had a lot of green algae in my swimming pool. Algae are toxic in nature and easily deplete the level of oxygen in the water. I got rid of it by shocking the water with chlorine. This is one of the best ways to get rid of algae from the water.
denboy 2

Postby denboy 2 » Mon 17 Jul, 2017 11:10

My problem seems academic but I can't solve it.
Since opening up every problem has dogged me getting a clear pool.
multiport replaced , 3 way valve replaced , pump almost new .
chemical levels checked and maintained . Filter seems fine--backwashes ok , but the bottom line is a pool which is clean at the shallow end and dark green in the deep.
I have applied Floc ( twice ) and yesterday Algicide maximum dose but the dark green persists and the bottom is permanently cloudy .

Any suggestions appreciated .

Denboy
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 17 Jul, 2017 11:30

You say chemical levels checked and maintained
Who does this and with what?
Stop putting floc and algecide in
Can you give these numbers
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
My pool:
Pool chemicals:
Poonamdpi
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Poonamdpi » Wed 26 Jul, 2017 02:17

Hello,

Swimming pool algae generally occurs when your pool lacks proper sanitation, and the water isn’t circulating, algae will grow. That’s why it’s important to keep the pool water moving with your pump and filter. If you want to prevent your pool from the algae then you should clean the pool daily and use chemicals.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 26 Jul, 2017 05:05

Poonamdpi wrote:Hello,

Swimming pool algae generally occurs when your pool lacks proper sanitation, and the water isn’t circulating, algae will grow. That’s why it’s important to keep the pool water moving with your pump and filter. If you want to prevent your pool from the algae then you should clean the pool daily and use chemicals.

You are correct in saying you need proper sanitation but this would be in relation to your Chlorine / CYA Chart anything different is a waste of time. Also check out recommended Pool Levels
This is why we recommend a decent test kit to know your correct levels, pool stores abd strips are widely inaccurate
Pump runtime would be for individual pools to determine, no fixed time
Mixing chemicals
Cleaning
Heating
SWCG
Poonamdpi
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Poonamdpi » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 02:36

Hello,
There are three types of swimming pool algae such as green or blue algae, yellow or mustard algae, or black algae etc. To prevent your pools from algae you can use chemicals.
marvinwalters
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby marvinwalters » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 06:39

Poonamdpi wrote:Hello,
There are three types of swimming pool algae such as green or blue algae, yellow or mustard algae, or black algae etc. To prevent your pools from algae you can use chemicals.

As discussed earlier, you must keep the pool chlorinated to avoid algae growth.
azulverde
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: With pool and spa design, our goal is to give you a water element that is tranquil and enjoyable. You will be able to relax in the sun and enjoy the beautiful and functional design we create. For a pool and spa area, we focus on what really matters: how you plan to use the space.

Postby azulverde » Mon 30 Oct, 2017 06:55

· Use chlorine to kill algae
· Brush the walls, edges and floor of the swimming pool
· Assess pool chemical safety
· Adjust the pool pH. ...
· Choose a chlorine shock product. ...
· Test the pool again the next day. ...
· Brush and test daily
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 30 Oct, 2017 07:29

azulverde wrote:· Use chlorine to kill algae
·
· Choose a chlorine shock product. ...
·

That is incorrect, shocking a pool is about raising the chlorine level and holding it by any source of chlorine, it's a process not a product. If the stabiliser (CYA) level is already high adding more packaged stabilised products doesn't help, most shock still contains stabiliser, better off with a non stabilised form like liquid chlorine or Calcium hypochlorite (HTH shock)
Jhop211
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Jhop211 » Thu 31 May, 2018 04:31

That will be a good idea.
loure1992

Postby loure1992 » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 12:50

HI,

Utilize chlorine to slaughter green growth and brush the deviders, Assess pool substance Security and adjust the PH.
Choose a chlorine stun item.

Thanks
ljmesg
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby ljmesg » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 22:27

Two weeks ago my cya level was 89, free chlorine was around 5% so was getting algae. I wanted the cya in the 50ppm level so drained alot if pool water, almost half and only reduced it to 79. Free chlorine stayed about the same.

I lef town for 5 days and tested tonite and cya was 104 and free chlorine down to under 2ppm. No chems were added to the pool other than rain water.

All other levels are basically normal.

Can rain water alone spike my cya like that?

What a bummer.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”