Green on copper

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
johnfarrar

Green on copper

Postby johnfarrar » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 16:17

I recently purchased a home in South Florida with a pool. It has 4 waterfall boxes that appear to copper, they are stained with a varied amount of green powdery substance.
I've seen home remedies and commercial products that appear to have the ability to remove the stains, I am just concerned that the slight contamination to the pool water will create water issues for me in the future. Any opinion from the group will certainly be appreciated .
Thanks
John

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Green on copper

Postby Teapot » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 17:15

John, you don't state what your pool is made of? That can have a big affect on the outcome but you need to keep the pH tightly controlled. You shouldn't have algae troubles but probably safer to get the waterfalls swapped to Stainless steel 316 grade
johnfarrar

Postby johnfarrar » Wed 24 Jan, 2018 16:51

Thanks Teapot, I have a guy that comes weekly and tests the levels, I will question him about checking the ph.
Thanks for the help.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 04:03

johnfarrar wrote:Thanks Teapot, I have a guy that comes weekly and tests the levels, I will question him about checking the ph.
Thanks for the help.

How does he test the levels. Does he use a FAS/DPD kit or just strips
You should be able to test the water yourself to keep a tighter rein on your water quality
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 05:09

Hi John, it's not quite that simple, if your pool is concrete/plaster or tiled finish the walls can be at a much higher pH than the bulk pool water. Brushing the walls and floor can expose a fresh high pH surface and that is where copper can come out of suspension and stain. I would never have any copper in a plaster or tiled pool. Your pool person should be checking for total copper in addition to the other tests.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”