Dirty water returning to pool while vacuuming (on Filter setting)

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
gdesone
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 2012 in-ground kidney shaped pool with same age chlorine filter and 1 speed pump changed in 2022.

Dirty water returning to pool while vacuuming (on Filter setting)

Postby gdesone » Sat 03 Jun, 2023 10:39

In ground pool with 11 year old filter and sand. Last summer I noticed this problem while vacuuming after shocking pool for visible algae.

This spring I am late on opening pool and it is very green. I normally super shock it and vacuum up the grey algae lining the pool bottom the day after before adjusting PH, etc. Upon vaccuming on Filter setting we can see the return jets streaming the brown-green water back into the pool making the water all dark and cloudy so hard to continue vacuuming and pointless it seems..

I guess I could vacuum on Waste setting but this will empty the water level pretty fast only having a 1 speed pump.

Is the problem the 11 year old sand (channelling?) or the multi-port valve ? Is there a test to determine which is the problem ?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Dirty water returning to pool while vacuuming (on Filter setting)

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 05 Jun, 2023 02:45

I would agree, channeling is quite likely. If you are going to swap out the sand, consider Dr Drydens AFM ng glass media, it doesnt channel because the surface cannot be colonised by bacteria (self sterilising), its easier to backwash and filters as well as DE without all the mess and expense. Lasts the life of your pool.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”