Algae on bottom of pool HELP

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
fatpants
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: above ground pool, vinyl lined

Postby fatpants » Sun 24 Jul, 2011 04:21

Hi I have a above ground pool with a sand filter in the UK and I'm having a real problem with algae returning to the bottom of the pool, the water balance is fine and I have added algaecide, I have vacuumed the pool very time the algae has sunk to the bottom but the next day it is back on the bottom. The algae is a green colour and the water is crystal clear.I am at my wit's end with it can anybody help me please. One other thing the Chlorine is getting used quite quickly as well.

cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

Postby cpo2go » Mon 25 Jul, 2011 13:46

To help the chlorine to last longer, add cyanuric acid (also called conditioner or stabilizer). Without knowing your pool volume, I can't recommend how much to add but you want to end up with a reading of about 30ppm.

As for the algae that keeps re-appearing, I would recommend backwashing your filter. Sometimes there's a condition known as 'channeling' that can effect a sand filter's ability to remove fine debris. This happens when larger 'channels' are forged through the sand bed which allow fine stuff like algae to pass right through. If you've maintained good chemistry and used an algaecide, the algae may be dead but it's now the filter's job to remove it.
http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.

Postby Guest » Mon 25 Jul, 2011 16:18

Thanks for the reply. Staberlizer is in and backwashed the filter so let see how it goes. I'll post in a week or so to let you know if it is sorted.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”