Off white stuff on the bottom of the pool. Yellow Algae?

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
cocoamom

Postby cocoamom » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 10:46

Ok, I had a badly yucky green pool. After a lot of work and cloride it has cleared up so that I can see the bottom. Now, I have a off white stuff that looks like sand but its not. Is this just the dead algae or is it what they call mustard algae another problem. I keep vaccumming and running the filter and doing a backwash seeing it go out of the filter fine. But, i can clean the pool clear. Next day i turn the filter back on and here is that stuff again. It almost seems like its being blown back in from the filter maybe? But I backwashed till it was clean so is there stuff I am missing? Thanks I :thumbup: know it will help me and also other. :wave:

drain and refill

Postby drain and refill » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 16:52

Did you use alot of shock as it will do what your talking about? If you have a DE or Cartridge filter clean it. If you have a sand filter need to vac to waste and it will take a few times. Shock is very fine dust and can cause problems.
silly

Postby silly » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 19:58

Off white/white/grey is usually dead algae unless in a stringy form ( that's a different type of bacteria, usually associated with biguanide products like bacquacil). If you are turning on the filter to shooting the grey matter back into the pool that means clean your filter. Vacuum to waste (assuming you have a sand filter) otherwise pull the plug out the bottom and remove the cartridge. Yes, it lowers your water level. However, it saves you a filter cleaning.

If after shocking + vacuuming on backwash the next day the problem persists, explain with as much pool info as possible ( pool size, type, appearance of water, etc).
silly

Postby silly » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 20:00

after shocking + vacuuming on *waste (not backwash)
cocoasmom

Postby cocoasmom » Tue 02 Aug, 2011 11:13

Ahh I will vaccuum to waste. Never have done this. Itis a 24 foot round pool with a sand filter. I am so proud of ourselves for getting the green stuff out. I was thinking that this stuff was just the deal algae but it kept being blown back in (I think) and it seem so from what you are saying. I dont mind adding water, I am not meetered. was making sure that this was not that yellow algea to that I did not have to add anything more to the pool. Hey does anyone else besides me use Washing Soda instead of Chemicals.. How about Borax?

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”