Green pool

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
curthale

Green pool

Postby curthale » Wed 12 Oct, 2011 15:30

All my levels are normal but pool is green. There is a heavy greenish substance on bottom of pool. When I empty hot tub and refill, water is fairly clean. You can brush the substance. I have added clairifier, metal app, shock and green algae chemicals.

Green pool

Postby Guest » Mon 17 Oct, 2011 11:54

Local pool company wants me to drain pool, another wants me to vaccum stuff off of bottom of pool and keep cleaning filters. Any help would be great. I was told that this is copper percipating out of the solution.

Green pool

Postby Guest » Wed 26 Oct, 2011 21:52

Whoever told you to drain it is an idiot...You should be able to get your pool clean and clear without draining it. I recommend taking a water sample into pool store and try to get the water tested there so you can see what's going on chemically first. I myself work in the pool industry and when someone comes in with a very bad algae problem it's typically a good indication that they have a chlorine demand. You might not have shocked it well enough to get rid of the problem. But then again, I could be wrong. Take it, get it tested, see what they have to say. If it is a chlorine demand, liquid chlorine is your best bet because it's alot stronger than your typical granular shock and works alot faster too. Hope that helps somewhat.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Green pool

Postby chem geek » Thu 27 Oct, 2011 01:06

Jennifer_Bolduc
I'm new here
I'm new here

Green pool

Postby Jennifer_Bolduc » Thu 29 Dec, 2011 22:45

Its just algae layer formed in the bottom man. Just scrub it and use appropriate chemicals, it will be fine. I don t think it is something you should worry so much abt.
Analyst

Green pool

Postby Analyst » Mon 16 Jan, 2012 11:56

Chlorine Dioxide should do the trick for you. Maintain your Free Chlorine levels for optimum results. A shock for 30 mins max is enough.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Green pool

Postby chem geek » Mon 16 Jan, 2012 19:48

Analyst wrote:Chlorine Dioxide should do the trick for you. Maintain your Free Chlorine levels for optimum results. A shock for 30 mins max is enough.

See this post regarding chlorine dioxide. If used as a shock in the presence of chlorine, that might be OK (though not approved by the EPA as a disinfectant for pools/spas), but it should not be used alone due to production of chlorite. Shocking with chlorine works well (see this post) but if the CYA level is very high then it is best to lower it by diluting the water since it will make chlorine less effective so the CYA would need to be lowered anyway.
[sub]2[/sub]

Green pool

Postby [sub]2[/sub] » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 21:01

Analyst wrote:Chlorine Dioxide should do the trick for you. Maintain your Free Chlorine levels for optimum results. A shock for 30 mins max is enough.
Analyst, can you provide more information about chlorine dioxide? Where do you get it, how much do you use etc?

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”