Help

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
chihorn
I'm new here
I'm new here

Help

Postby chihorn » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 20:15

New home owner and pool owner. I have a good test kit. Water has turned from clear to cloudy and now to green in a matter of a week. PH is 8.0, Alk is 50ppm and FC is 1ppm and CC is 1ppm. I am trying to get my head around all the numbers and what to do. It is my understanding that if the PH level of the pool isn't in the optimum range (7.2 - 7.4) that the chlorine can't work on the alg. So, I guess I need to get the PH down. How do I do that? Also, do I worry about the PH first and then the alk numbers or try to treat both at once? I feel like I need a chemistry degree (and clearly I don't have one!). Any help would be very appreciated!
chihorn

BudgetPoolCare
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Help

Postby BudgetPoolCare » Sat 21 Apr, 2012 06:36

To lower your PH and ALK you use - Pool Acid.
if your pool is turning cloudy and then going green you have no chlorine in the pool.

Your pool needs chorine everyday or it gets sick... just like we need to Eat everyday.

if you do get stuck best thing is get a water sample from the pool and drive to your local pool shop or get a Pool service tech to your home.

Budget Pool Care
Sydney, Australia
www.BudgetPoolCare.com.au
JohnnyBceo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 21r Gray Stone, Fish Print Liner(beaded), E200 System, Ionizer and a set of wedding cake steps.

Help

Postby JohnnyBceo » Fri 27 Apr, 2012 19:38

As a pool Tech, the first thing we need to do is get the water nice and clear again.
Step one, your going to want to scrub the walls and floor the best you can, and get as much leaves ect ect. out of the pool if there are any.
Step 2, Shock Shock and Shock. I do not know how much water your pool holds but your going to want to try a Double Dose of Shock first. make sure the shock has ( Calcium Hypochlorite ) and it needs to be 65% or higher.
and in bag forum its 1lbs per 10,000 gallons, if its a bucket of shock then just read the lable it will tell you how much to use. Also make sure you dissolve it before you add it to the pool. A 5gal Bucket will work fine and remember add Chem to water not water to Chem.
Step 3, By now the pool may be clear or cloudy, if it cloudy you need to get a clarifier Just drop by your local pool store and they will be able to get you with the right one (also they may have a sheet telling you everything I am telling you.) You will need to use how ever many OZ the bottle tells you to use per 10,000 gallons. This may take a few days.
Step 4, Your pool should be clear, Good Job. Now its time to take it in for a test ( quart jar or 20oz bottle will work fine.) Doing this at your local pool store, they will be able to tell you how much Alk you need to add. This is what will help you get your PH under control. Along with your CAL and STAB and all that good stuff you need to do once a year.

Step 5, Enjoy the pool

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”