Frogs in and around pool

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Frog Hater

Re: Frogs in and around pool

Postby Frog Hater » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 22:11

They are ruining my life right now. I'm getting my golf clubs out tomorrow night and they've had it

poolguy1130

Postby poolguy1130 » Wed 12 Jul, 2017 09:36

Problem: frogs laying eggs and swimming in pool, being around house all night croaking.

Ive read every one of the posts on this message board and tons in other forums. first and foremost DON'T USE MOTHBALLS it is extremely toxic to the land and if you have a well it WILL contaminate your drinking water(depending how close your pool is to your supply) also the largest reason for having frogs around your pool is due to welcoming conditions, and lack of natural predators. Let me give you a little background on me. I have breed fire belly, African hopping toads, and domestic tree frogs for a local pet store for many years. the one thing i had to learn is the conditions had to be right for them to breed.

solution1 :arrow: : really the only effective solution is to increase the natural predators that eat the type of frog in your area. just remember though as a general rule if the marking on the frogs belly are ultra bright they are more than likely poisonous. if they are general treefrogs most snakes will eat them. like pythons, black racers,copperheads, ect.. The biggest thing you dont want to do is to do what my neighbor does :thumbdown: and kill every snake he sees. this activity is what upsets the natural ecosystem. then you will have an infestation with no predators to keep the population from growing.

solution2 :arrow: : if you have an above ground pool you might want to look into an electric cover to seal the pool completely when not in use.( these can cost a bit but are worth it in the long run.

solution3 :arrow: : Buy a new pump with a larger flow rate and make sure that the water is circulating properly. if the water isn't circulating then that is one of the best welcoming features.

hopefully this will help a few of you out.

ps.. if you dont want to handle live snakes, look online for motion sensing snakes. they wont kill but might deter for awhile. i use owls and wolves to help protect my chickens at night.
lboogie

Postby lboogie » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 20:21

what an annoying issue to have. i have tried the moth balls they worked for nights then the little loud suckers were back. I bought pest rid granuales and pest rid spray that worked for about 2 nights then they came back.

I have been getting mosquito treatments, spraying viper at night, and put out some fake snakes and put out used coffee grounds and use a solar pool cover to at least keep them out of the pool. I also made mixture of bleach, salt and water and spray the pool deck and the pool cover. I couldn't sleep either I had to put on ear plugs. I am on day 3 frog free but this is so draining. I also shut off all my pretty yard lights. I never hated frogs so much in my life.
MarianGuzman
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have a big outdoor pool.

Postby MarianGuzman » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:51

The most easiest way to keep frogs out of your pool is to use a barrier.
poolowner21
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20 x 40 Grecian South Alabama

Postby poolowner21 » Tue 06 Aug, 2019 01:06

I can feel the frog pain!! But people suggesting building a fence (never heard of a fence that will stop a frog), or barrier (what is that?) are not helping us. I have found that keeping my chlorine high is key. My trouble is 'tree frogs' who most certainly will not be deterred by fences or barriers. They can climb upside down and for those that cannot locate the frogs; look in your bushes and trees around the pool.
I have noted that my holly bushes were a particular attraction for some reason. They did not live there, but lived in the oaks surrounding the pool area, and perched in the Holley's to sing their songs all night after heavy rains, when the chlorine was low due to dilution. It takes days sometimes to get rid of them with chlorine, but it dose seem to eventually work...for a while.

So...anything more than just create a barrier would be helpful? Like...does the mothball thing work by creating some type of wide barrier (maybe 3/4 feet), around the pool area perhaps (would have to be wide in my case...as these frogs are good jumpers).
Useful Help appreciated please?
cuzzykel
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x28 inground rectaqular pool. WIth a Nature2 Fusion mineral sanitizer system and Jacuzzi pump and Hayward heater.

Postby cuzzykel » Tue 29 Jun, 2021 17:24

We love our frogs. It's usually one at a time, not hundreds. I feel for you, but don't have an answer.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”