Pool water is green but I can see the bottom

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
sjones2011
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex 2500 GPH Krystal Clear Swimming Pool Filter Pump
Intex Salt Water Generator
12' x 20' x 4' Oval Easy Set
Above Ground

Postby sjones2011 » Fri 01 Jun, 2012 19:55

The water is green, help!! We got the pool put together, checked to be sure the pumps were working. Since it is a few years old, I went ahead and ordered a new pump and all new fittings, we are using a SWG. Unfortunately once we got the pool filled, with well water, the pump we had was having issues and died. Being that it was Memorial weekend, it took almost a week for the new pump to arrive. Now the pool has green water. What do I do first? I tested the water and of course every thing is low since I have not added anything to it. The test strips are Aquachem 6-way test strips. I also have salt pool test strips
FC: 0 (very low per test strip)
TC: 0(very low per test strip)
pH: test strip just says 6.2 but the color was no where near being that high
TA: 0 (very low per test strip)
CH: 100 (low per test strip)
CYA: 0 (very low per test strip)
Bromine: 0 (very low per test strip)
My pool: Easy set vinyl, above ground 12' x 20' x 4' with inflatable ring
Pool chemicals: pool salt, I have ph up, ph down, calcium hardness, clarifier, shock,
My pump & filter: INTEX 2500 GPH Krystal Clear Swimming Pool Filter Pump model 56633E and Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System model CS8110
Other info: It has been 90 degrees and raining off and on this week and the pool is in the sun. Although the water is green, I can see the bottom of the pool.
Please someone tell me where to start and where to go from there. Thank you in advance

sjones2011
Easy set vinyl, above ground 12' x 20' x 4' with inflatable ring
INTEX 2500 GPH Krystal Clear Swimming Pool Filter Pump model 56633E and Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System model CS8110

OakParts
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My Pool uses many different parts.

Postby OakParts » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 17:49

Hi there!

Firstly you would want to check the salt content in your pool. If it is under the recommended range for your system, the system would not work.
If this does not help shock your pool. You do not have any chlorine in your pool from conversion of salt. The shock (concentrated chlorine or liquid chlorine) would kill the algae creating this green water.
Raise your PH! it is very low and could cause corrosion if you have any metal or a heater. The recommended range is between 7.2 and 7.6.

This should help. If after killing the algae with shock, the pool seems cloudy, you should use a clarifying product.

OakParts
nbrown
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex Ultra Frame Pool 18'x48" with Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 2800GPH and the Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System.

Re: Pool water is green but I can see the bottom

Postby nbrown » Fri 24 Jun, 2016 12:20

I am new to the Salt Water world!! I have Krystal Clear Saltwater system, Krystal Clear Sand Pump and an Intex Ultra Frame 18'x48" pool ... Our pool was perfect and clear, then we had kids in it, the temps got really warm, rain came and over night the pool was a swamp! It is clearing up but still slightly green with green on the walls of the pool. We did one boost cycle and added a bag of pool salt as it said salt was low. Advise is needed and greatly appreciated!!

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”