Frequent Filter Clogging with Algae

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
BrianFey
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18' Circular Above Ground Lined Pool with Saltwater Chlorinator and Cartridge Filtration.

Postby BrianFey » Wed 19 Jun, 2013 17:25

Issue/Question: My pool is staying nice and clear, but I am having to clean the filter from the caked on algae every 24-36hrs in order to maintain water flow. Is this normal - or is it a result of the current chemical composition? Note: The chlorine has been running a little on the low side even with salt system. Part of the reason is the salt-system self shut down when the water flow gets too restricted due to the algae build-up in the cartridge filter.

Status

Chlorine: 1.5 (Current Reading taken after hard rain)
PH: 7.8

Recent Chemical Usage: Oasis Algaecide and Oasis Metal-out (due to well-water source)

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 02:54

The Free Chlorine (FC) number by itself is completely meaningless without also knowing the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) number since the FC/CYA ratio is proportional to the active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) level that kills algae. It sounds like it's too low. For a saltwater chlorine generator pool, the FC needs to be a minimum of 5% of the CYA level (absolute minimum of 4.5% of the CYA level). Read the Pool School for more info on how to properly maintain your pool. Start off by getting yourself a proper test kit -- the Taylor K-2006.
BrianFey
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18' Circular Above Ground Lined Pool with Saltwater Chlorinator and Cartridge Filtration.

Postby BrianFey » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 20:22

Excellent - will do on the test kit. Thanks!

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”