Pink Algae in Swimming Pools

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
jackgenova
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: my pool size 500 sq ft,My pool is very Good to see.And i have as vacuum cleaners, pool pumps, motors, filters, gas heaters, electric heaters, heat pumps, lights, ladders, slides, air blowers and diving boards and much more

Pink Algae in Swimming Pools

Postby jackgenova » Sat 30 Jan, 2016 01:29

Let’s start by saying there is no such thing as “Pink Algae”. What is referred to as pink algae is actually a bacterium. While pink algae are rare in pools it can occur, attaching itself to principally to PVC plastics as well as the pool surface. The Pink Algae forms a protective coating, which makes removal somewhat more challenging. It should be noted that pink algae thrives in a dark environment, particularly in areas with slow moving water.

The best prevention for any algae is not to allow it to get a foothold. Keep your chlorine levels at the recommended levels, brush the pool surfaces frequently.

How do you get rid of pink algae in pools

Since Pink algae are not algae, shocking the pool in most cases will not solve the problem. The use of a product called Yellow Out is recommended, Yellow Out is not an algaecide, it is a patented chemical that when used in conjunction with chlorine will eliminate the pink algae.

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Re: Pink Algae in Swimming Pools

Postby Larry » Sat 30 Jan, 2016 02:46

Welcome to the forums Jack and thanks for the useful information.

Larry
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 31 Jan, 2016 04:00

Yellow Out is a mixture of EDTA and ammonium so when combined with chlorine then monochloramine is formed. That is effective against algae including yellow/mustard algae, but it is not particularly effective against bacterial biofilms. See this paper that describes how monochloramine penetrates more deeply into biofilm but does not result in greater killing of bacteria. This makes sense because with chlorine (hypochlorous acid) it is far more reactive so reacts with and kills the bacterial cells in the surface layers of the biofilm. The monochloramine is not nearly as reactive so is able to penetrate deeper, but is somewhat pointless because it doesn't kill bacteria quickly.

EDTA, on the other hand, has been shown to be disruptive to biofilms as described in this paper (for inhibition) and this paper (for disruption). It may be better to use a combination of EDTA with chlorine rather than Yellow Out that produces monochloramine. There are also other alternatives such as powerful surfactants (e.g. Ahh-Some) that can dislodge biofilm after which chlorine can kill the bacteria.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 31 Jan, 2016 05:31

Hi
Have you used Ahh-Some Water Clarifier & Bio-Cleaner as it seems the best thing since sliced bread
I have contacted the UK distributor for a retailer as I intend to give it a try
jackgenova
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: my pool size 500 sq ft,My pool is very Good to see.And i have as vacuum cleaners, pool pumps, motors, filters, gas heaters, electric heaters, heat pumps, lights, ladders, slides, air blowers and diving boards and much more

Postby jackgenova » Mon 01 Feb, 2016 03:21

Thanks Larry

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”