green pool water

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Rin82
I'm new here
I'm new here

green pool water

Postby Rin82 » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 11:13

We have an above ground pool, the water is green/brown. The chlorine levels are super low, although we've put a TON in it, and the alkalinity is high (240) I have been vacuuming it multiple times a day, cleaning the filter, etc. How do we get it to a good level? Once it's at a good level, will the water start clearing up? Thanks in advance for the help

odbob
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: British 30ft x 8ft x 4ft deep indoor pool, I micron bag filter, 3kw electric heater, maintained at 31.5 degC all year round

Re: green pool water

Postby odbob » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 12:00

I have had this situation myself in the distant past and it was due to a very high cyanuric acid content which renders the chlorine ineffective, how big is the pool and how old, are you in a hot climate?.
My solution at that time, was to virtually drain the pool and start again, but there maybe some other solution which I am not aware of, keep watching and good luck!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 15 Jul, 2016 04:25

Get a decent test kit and post your results back here
What Chlorine are you using (stabilised chlorine will be adding Cyanuric acid)thus rendering your chlorine ineffective as "odbob" suggests
Muriatic acid will reduce your TA and PH, aerating will raise the PH again
Check out the pool school http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/
RodneyE
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have a short course swimming pool which is 30 yards and 80 feet long

Postby RodneyE » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 03:45

You might be having algaes in your pool. They initially go unnoticed because of their size.They are so tiny that they can even pass through filters. If there are plenty of sunlight and nutrients in the pool then this will provide an excellent condition for the algae’s to thrive. Maintaining your pool on a regular basis will help get rid of algae. Here is a blog that provides you some tips on how to maintain your swimming pool http://www.ferraripools.com/blog/pool-w ... balancing/ . A good water treatment is a good option to get rid of algae’s.The growth of algae can be controlled and finally eliminated by repeatedly adding an effective water treatment like an algaecontrol. You could also reapply it if necessary but make sure that you follow the dosage instructions.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 04:24

Don't guess adding algaecides as they add metal to the water
Read Pool School http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/
You will probably have to start Slamming http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shocking
Have you got a test kit yet
It is now a week since you posted but you haven't replied once, if you have solved the problem post back so that we know
Elaine G

Postby Elaine G » Sun 24 Jul, 2016 16:41

I’ve owned an above ground pool for 20 years. I’ve gone through several liners and two ladders. I doubt that there is any problem on this forum about pool water that I haven’t learned about the hard way.

What I haven’t learned to be is a pool water chemist. Here’s what I eventually learned. When I get a green algae bloom or if my pool water gets cloudy I just buy some alum and throw it into my pool water. The next day I vacuum it out to waste and I have a sparkling clean swimming pool. I used to get the alum at leslies but my local stores stopped carrying it. Probably because it works so well. Now I just buy it on Amazon. I get 15 pounds at a time for 2.75 per pound. Stop listening to the pool experts who are going to drag out the cleaning process using chemicals that don’t always work and days and days of filtering. Throw the alum in your pool at night, vacuum it out in the morning and be swimming in a nice clean pool the same day.
odbob
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: British 30ft x 8ft x 4ft deep indoor pool, I micron bag filter, 3kw electric heater, maintained at 31.5 degC all year round

Postby odbob » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 03:25

Elaine G wrote:I’ve owned an above ground pool for 20 years. I’ve gone through several liners and two ladders. I doubt that there is any problem on this forum about pool water that I haven’t learned about the hard way.

What I haven’t learned to be is a pool water chemist. Here’s what I eventually learned. When I get a green algae bloom or if my pool water gets cloudy I just buy some alum and throw it into my pool water. The next day I vacuum it out to waste and I have a sparkling clean swimming pool. I used to get the alum at leslies but my local stores stopped carrying it. Probably because it works so well. Now I just buy it on Amazon. I get 15 pounds at a time for 2.75 per pound. Stop listening to the pool experts who are going to drag out the cleaning process using chemicals that don’t always work and days and days of filtering. Throw the alum in your pool at night, vacuum it out in the morning and be swimming in a nice clean pool the same day.

Elaine, thanks for the alum suggestion, I'll add it to my BBB method of pool maintenance, do you mean pure alum granules, sulphate or the powder, heck of a difference in price :- granules £9 per just 100 gram, powder £1.05 per 100 gram or alum sulphate £7.50 per 1 pound, if you could identify that would be a great help, thanks

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”