Dog pool in Boston will not hold bromine and keeps turning green! Please, hellllllp!

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
DogPoolBoston
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 2500 gallon brominated indoor heated DOG pool, Sta-rite System 3 modular media cartridge filter, UV sanitizer.

Dog pool in Boston will not hold bromine and keeps turning green! Please, hellllllp!

Postby DogPoolBoston » Thu 02 Mar, 2017 11:54

Hi everyone, figured I would post here as I am at my wits end with this pool. We have a 2500 gallon heated indoor dog pool that has had ongoing trouble maintaining bromine and NOT being neon green. We have drained and treated the water twice already this year. We tried a super shock system with algicide (The HTH Green to Blue) and we wash and replace our cartridge filters once a week as suggested by our pool company. This pool legitimately will not stay clear for more than three days at a time before turning soupy neon green again. Super stressed out, I am out of ideas, and honestly don't want to sit in this pool while it is in this condition. Any ideas, suggestions, silly things I didn't even think of? Because I'm about to fill the pool with gasoline and just let it go, haha.

CL/BR- 0
PH - 7.4 (lowered to be ready for shocking..)
Alk - 80

DogPoolBoston
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 2500 gallon brominated indoor heated DOG pool, Sta-rite System 3 modular media cartridge filter, UV sanitizer.

Re: Dog pool in Boston will not hold bromine and keeps turning green! Please, hellllllp!

Postby DogPoolBoston » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 15:21

I believe we are just going to drain the pool this weekend and start fresh. But, that makes three times in the past six months and I'm sure we are just going to hit this wall again. Any advice is appreciated :roll:
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Dog pool in Boston will not hold bromine and keeps turning green! Please, hellllllp!

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 18:18

Is there a reason why you are using bromine?
You don't mention CYA, an indoor pool can benefit from a low dose of 20-30
Your chlorine / bromine is non existant (not good)
Your pH is OK
TA is OK
I wouldn't put any more algaecide in as a lot have copper and that could be turning the pool green
When you drain and refill follow these links and familiarise yourself for a trouble free pool
Pool School
Slam
Chlorine / CYA Chart
Pool Levels
Pool Maths
Don't use chlorine pucks
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
Get yourself a decent test kit to control your pool levels
Liquid chlorine / bleach (sodium hypochlorite)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid)
Cyanuric acid (stabilisor)
Once you refill and start the process with the chemicals indicated you should be able to keep a clean and clear pool

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”