black algae spots and no chlorine

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
frustrated mom

black algae spots and no chlorine

Postby frustrated mom » Tue 18 Jul, 2006 12:27

I NEED HELP! I get conflicting anwsers from two different pool stores in town and still can't get rid of my black algae spots. I drained my pool last winter and did a chlorine wash to get rid of the black spots. Once it got hot out they came back even worse. I have tried spot kill, scrubbing with a wire brush, chlorine tablets and they are still there. I also can not get the chlorine level in my pool to stay up. I put seven cups of shock in at night and in the morning it shows no chlorine. Someone PLEASE HELP ME!

Re: black algae spots and no chlorine

Postby Guest » Wed 02 Aug, 2006 16:44

frustrated mom wrote:I NEED HELP! I get conflicting anwsers from two different pool stores in town and still can't get rid of my black algae spots. I drained my pool last winter and did a chlorine wash to get rid of the black spots. Once it got hot out they came back even worse. I have tried spot kill, scrubbing with a wire brush, chlorine tablets and they are still there. I also can not get the chlorine level in my pool to stay up. I put seven cups of shock in at night and in the morning it shows no chlorine. Someone PLEASE HELP ME!

I know this website might help

Hope this helps!! :D

Postby Guest » Sat 19 Aug, 2006 18:55

I have this exact problem. I have poured about $500 worth of chemicals into the pool in the past 8 weeks and STILL have algae. Sometimes it appears to go-but NO. What do we do?

frustrated mom wrote:I NEED HELP! I get conflicting anwsers from two different pool stores in town and still can't get rid of my black algae spots. I drained my pool last winter and did a chlorine wash to get rid of the black spots. Once it got hot out they came back even worse. I have tried spot kill, scrubbing with a wire brush, chlorine tablets and they are still there. I also can not get the chlorine level in my pool to stay up. I put seven cups of shock in at night and in the morning it shows no chlorine. Someone PLEASE HELP ME!
the pool doctor

black algae

Postby the pool doctor » Wed 04 Oct, 2006 19:09

black algae forms a scab over the top and that "scab" needs to be scraped with a wire brush and then take a chlorine tablet and grind it into black algae spot. if not killed black algae is a living organism that will eat a hole right through a concrete shell i hope this helps
kamkuda
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby kamkuda » Mon 09 Oct, 2006 10:32

A couple questions.
1. What surface is your pool I assume conceter or fiberglass.
2. What are you testing your chlorine with. Is it OTO (yellow drops) or DPD (pink tablets)
3. DO the spots looks like little specks or a smear / bigger than little spots?

Postby Guest » Wed 19 Dec, 2007 01:58

Black spot algae is a particularly difficult algae to get rid of I have heard from one person years ago that if you have a persistent problem with it and you also swim in the sea regularly that you should use different swimming gear in the pool, as he found that often black spot can be introduced into a pool by contaminated swim-wear or toysthat have been in the ocean. Yes the more algae in the pool the more chlorine is used up especially by black spot which develops roots that work their way into the pools surface. So even if you think you have scrubbed it away you may not have finished it of. Strong copper based algaesides and prevention in my experience, seems to be the best way to deal with it.

Robbert

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”