Green water

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
daveyboy43

Green water

Postby daveyboy43 » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 07:41

I have a 24 foot round above ground pool and when we opened it the water was very green. We hooked the filter up and ran it but after a few hours the return flow to the pool became very weak. I backwashed the filter the next morning and the filter was fine for about an hour and a half and once again the return flow became very weak. I backwashed the filter again and added a product called green to blue by HTH which after adding the second component and running the filter for an hour you then shut the filter off for 24 hours and you're supposed to have a clear pool with all the sediment on the bottom of the poll and then you vacuum to waste to remove it. The water looks better than it did as it's kind of a greenish blue with the key word being blue as you see blue but again there is green as well but not the real dark nasty green it was before the product was added. There is some type of residue on the top of the water that looks like a light brown and white oil slick or foam. It's not real thick and what's under it is the greenish blue water. Just wondering if maybe I should buy another blue to green application for the pool or go in another direction at this point. Also wondering if I should clean out filter and run it to see if I can remove the oily type substance on top of the water or not do anything until I know what I'm dealing with. Thanks in advance to anyone offering help and suggestions.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Green water

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 09:29

You have an algae bloom and need to Slam
You really need to get a decent test kit as SLAM stands for Shock Level and Maintain not just once a day but several times
How do you chlorinate? if you are using stabilised pucks you probably have an excess of CYA rendering your chlorine ineffective check Chlorine / CYA Chart
Going to pool stores you will be continously adding different products, basicly all you should need is
Liquid chlorine (Bleach, Sodium hypochlorite
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acic) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) to raise TA
Aeration to raise pH

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”