Green Cloudy Water

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
GreenwaterVegas

Green Cloudy Water

Postby GreenwaterVegas » Mon 17 Jul, 2017 14:56

Problem: Green, cloudy, thick-looking water ( algae?? )

FC: not even showing up at all
TC: n/a
pH: high (around 8.0)
TA: n/a
CH: n/a
CYA: n/a

My pool: 15 foot Intex inflatable ring
Pool chemicals: Chlorine tablets in filter, chlorine tablets in floaty, also pHDown powder, and have shocked twice.
My pump & filter: Piece of crap (no idea) came with the pool (Wal-mart). Can't find specs on any of the documentation. (But I believe the pump is the origin of the problem.)
Other info:

My test kit is a cheapy from Walmart that comes with two bottles of drops, one tests chlorine and the other pH level. I now know I should've bought a better test kit. Noted.

Problem is how do I fix my pool water at this point or do I need to drain it??

I've shocked it it twice in one week. I've added Clorox pH Down according to the product label.
<https://www.walmart.com/ip/Clorox-Pool-and-Spa-pH-Down-5-lbs/41466041>
It was basically swimmable until I added that stuff. Then it got super cloudy for a couple days and now its green and thick-looking and gross.

Never had a pool before. Only had this one a few weeks.

Another point: While waiting on the pool cover that I ordered online, the wind blew a bunch of dirt into the pool (I'm in the desert). I now have the cover but haven't used it yet because unsure if I should cover it with the water already messed up to the degree it is. Plus it's 117 degrees here (Las Vegas) in the daytime, and considering there's no shade in the yard it's probably more like 125. Putting the cover on would be dangerous to my health (maybe to anybody's even) right now in these daytime conditions and I work at night so I haven't had a chance to do it then.

Do I need to drain this pool to get it back right and even then will it ever be right again? And where would I drain the water to?

Also I was vacuuming (if you can call it that) with this mickey mouse vacuum that came in a $19 pool maintenance kit from walmart. You hook the garden hose to it and it has a mesh-like bag attached to it to catch the debris. It did seem to pick up a little bit of debris, but as I'm vacuuming, the water from the hose (to create the suction I guess) is constantly filling the pool. At one point I overfilled the pool (based on the fact that the sides of the pool were bulging outward and pool no longer sitting level), and so then I let some water out over the sides because the pool was sitting slanted. It leveled out again overnight, but to vacuum again means letting water out again. I don't think the amount of dirt it removes is worth the hassle. I know I should buy a real vacuum and also a better pump, but aside from those two things that I plan to buy soon but can't afford this very moment what can I do now that I'm already at this point with the water being green and yucky?

Bought the pool because it was cheap and loved it til this, really can't afford new pump,or to keep refilling it repeatedly. Any guidance will be appreciated it. Thank you! I was thinking of buying some Arm and Hammer Clear Balance from walmart today.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arm-Hammer-C ... s/17043413

Would it possibly help?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Green Cloudy Water

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 17 Jul, 2017 17:07

Looking at your numbers the problem is you don't have control
Get yourself a decent test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF100) and Slam Shock Level and Maintain
Check out these links they will help you get your pool 100% as economicaly as possible
Pool School
Chlorine / CYA Chart
Pool Levels
Pool Maths
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
I would be inclined to get some stabilisor (Cyanuric acid) in quickly, the tabs will do it slowly but you need some in to buffer your chlorine. The Vegas sun will eat up your chlorine without it
Your equipment is probably designed for the pool but your best investment will be the test kit which will pay for itself by not wasting chemicals

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”