HELP! Clear, slimy algae on pool walls

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
emmybearrxo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex Easy Set Above Ground 10ft x 30 in. Soft Sided.
Current pump is 330 GPH Filter Pump. We are upgrading it to an Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump, 2500 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI in a few days.

HELP! Clear, slimy algae on pool walls

Postby emmybearrxo » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 20:16

I'd like to start that we bought this intex pool about a month ago. It is a 10ft by 30in soft sided above ground pool. the current pump on it only filers 330GPH which is ridiculous. We are upgrading it to a 2500 GPH within a few days (when it arrives from amazon). It is the Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 2500 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI.
I've never owned a pool before but was ready to learn how to properly maintain one.

The products we currently have are a pool skimmer, pool vacuum, pool cover, solar cover. Regarding chemicals, we own PH reducer, muriatic acid, chlorine tablets, as well as clorox pool shock with algaecide in it.
I own a Taylor Troubleshooter DPD Pool and Spa Water Test Kit - K-1004 so no strips here. :thumbup:

I frequently am testing the water for alkalinity and PH but tend to forget to do the chlorine. For about a week I had completely forgotten to keep up the chlorine levels in the pool. The pool walls and floor have developed a clear, slimy coating, which i'm assuming is algae. The pool water itself is really clear. We brushed the pool walls and floor tonight so get the algae movig around and added a good amount of clorox pool shock with algaecide. I also added a few chlorine tablets to the feeder.

I just did this all within the last hour and am wondering if what I am doing is merely correct/appropriate. And if what I did doesn't work, what should I do next? :think:

Regarding weather, I am in Minnesota. Our summers are more on the humid side but not crazy humid. Only after it rains. Typical temps run around 79 to the high 80's. I used to keep the pool cover on constantly but decided not to put it on for the last week or so because the cover catches more stuff which gets into the pool which means I have to skim it more. I know the sun does deplete the chlorine levels. :oops:

TYIA for anyone's response.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: HELP! Clear, slimy algae on pool walls

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 01:21

You have forgotten the most important thing Chlorine to sanitise your pool and prevent algae
You have an algae bloom because of your lack of chlorine and need to Slam
You need to check out your CYA against the Chlorine / CYA Chart with relation to recommended Pool Levels
Once you get to your correct CYA stop using the pucks and use liquid chlorine
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
Check out these links
Pool School
Pool Maths
You can purchase the common chemicals from local store
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
SDorsey
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby SDorsey » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 05:31

Thanks for sharing this useful post Dennis.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 17:21

SDorsey wrote:Thanks for sharing this useful post Dennis.

Just a shame Dennis didn't get a thank you from emmybearrxo, It goes a long way when you take time to help others for free!

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”