Black Algea?

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Lovesun
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Saltwater, 18,500 gallons.

Black Algea?

Postby Lovesun » Sun 30 Jul, 2017 13:56

Hi - first time posting to the forum. I need help with identification of the pool water substance in the attached picture. Is it black algea? I vacuumed a couples of times but can't get rid of it.

Thanks,
Attachments
IMG_1832.JPG
Picture
IMG_1832.JPG (385.24 KiB) Viewed 1585 times

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Black Algea?

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 04:16

I can't speak from experience as I have never suffered from algae
When you brush it does it move or is it fixed and you say you vacuumed but can't get rid of it. Do you mean you vacuum it up and it just reappears?
If so you need to Slam with relation to your Chlorine / CYA Chart as indicated in Pool Levels
Check out Pool Maths so that you know how much to dose and Pool School to help maintain your pool in the future
azulverde
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: With pool and spa design, our goal is to give you a water element that is tranquil and enjoyable. You will be able to relax in the sun and enjoy the beautiful and functional design we create. For a pool and spa area, we focus on what really matters: how you plan to use the space.

Postby azulverde » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 06:12

Step 1

ASSEMBLY TOOLS AND CHEMICALS - Buy the required tools and chemicals ahead of time to have them on hand for this procedure. If you have a concrete or gunite pool, you will need to buy a stiff brush like one with stainless steel bristles. The chemicals that you will need to buy are shock treatments and an algaecide.

Step 2

CLEAN FILTER - If black algae are in your pool, it's also in your filter. If you have a sand or DE filter, backwash and rinse your filter a couple of times. If you have a cartridge filter, pull out the cartridge and rinse it off thoroughly.

Step 3

BRUSH POOL - Next you need to brush off the black spots vigorously with as stiff a brush as you can use. If you have a concrete or gunite pool, use a stainless steel bristle brush. If you are one of the few that have black algae in a pool with a smooth surface, use the softer nylon bristle brush. Black algae have a protective cover over the algae roots that penetrate the porous surface of the pool. This barrier has to be removed so that the chemicals can get to all of the algae. Brush the algae spots three to four times a day for the duration of the treatment. Pay special attention to the pool's corners and around fixtures like the pool ladder.

Step 4

WEAR GLOVES AND EYEWEAR - Before you start handling the chemicals used here to treat black algae, put on a pair of heavy vinyl gloves and protective eyewear.

Step 5

SCRUB WITH TABLETS - Break a chlorine tablet in half and scrub the edge of the tablet over the black algae spots. For the areas you cannot reach, buy a tablet holder online that attaches to the pole of your brush.

Step 6

SHOCK POOL - Shock your pool with Sodium Dichlor using three times the normal dosage. So, instead of one pound per 10 000 gallons of water, use three pounds per 10 000 gallons.

Step 7

ADD GRANULAR CHLORINE - If you have a pool with a lightly colored surface, sprinkle Granular Chlorine over all the areas where it may settle on or near the black algae. Do not use Granular Chlorine in pools with dark surfaces as it may bleach the surface.

Step 8

ADD ALGAECIDE - Add one 32 oz. bottle of poly 60 algaecide per 15 000 gallons of pool water.

Step 9

RUN PUMP - If you have a pool with a light finish, leave the pump off for 24 hours to let the treatment set in. Then, after those 24 hours, run the pump an additional 24 hours the next day. For a pool with a darker finish, run the pump for 24 hours after adding the chemicals to prevent bleaching. During this 24-hour/48-hour period, continue to brush three to four times a day where the black algae spots were.

Step 10

CLEAN FILTER - Clean your filter again to rinse out any black algae residue.

Step 11

BRUSH POOL - Continue to brush where the black spots were for two to three days while the chlorine level is still high from shocking.

Step 12

RE-SHOCK POOL - If there is any indication of the black algae reappearing after three days, shock your pool again with a normal dosage - one pound per 10 000 gallons of water.Continue to brush where the spots were for two to three more days. Don't skip brushing. It is a key part of the treatment.

Step 13

MAINTAIN POOL CHEMISTRY - Once you have had black algae, it has a tendency to reoccur. It is important that you maintain your pool's chemistry and that you brush down the pool walls and floor once to twice a week. Note: Due to the heavy chlorine treatment, the chlorine level may remain high for up to two weeks.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 11:16

Black algae is a bacteria not an algae, that said the photos don't look like black algae to me, just dirt. The tough outer shell has to be rubbed off the expose the underneath and don't waste money or chlorine on polyquats. Whilst a high level of chlorine shock may help the bacteria can adapt so better to use chlorine dioxide which can enter via the bacterial cell membranes because it's lipid soluble and kill from the inside.

When you say you vacuum it, if it were black algae it wouldn't move. If it moves but seems to return to the pool the really bad news is you are not removing it at all, just disturbing it so it falls back to the floor later (a mistake made by millions of pool owners sold crappy vacuums) vacuum to waste carefully to get it out of the pool.
marvinwalters
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby marvinwalters » Wed 29 Nov, 2017 01:50

Lovesun wrote:Hi - first time posting to the forum. I need help with identification of the pool water substance in the attached picture. Is it black algea? I vacuumed a couples of times but can't get rid of it.

Thanks,

It looks some kind of dirt to me, clearly not algae.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”