Pool after the storm

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
jpmusic
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 gallons in ground pool

Pool after the storm

Postby jpmusic » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 10:06

We got a tiny touch of Harvey and my pool looked like a tree massacre. To get ahead of the game before the storm Friday night, I over chlorinated (approx. 3 gallons of liquid shock for my 15,000 gallon pool). During the storm, we were out in the wind and rain getting as much of the debris as possible out. After the storm, I've completely cleared it, but the water is almost a fluorescent yellow/green. When I brush, there's a bit of, I'm guessing, mustard algae disturbed at the bottom. Yesterday (tuesday- just 4 days after chlorinating) the chlorine level was at zero. I dumped another 3 gallons in along with some mustard algae black magic powder stuff w/ the pump running and my Kreepy Krauly running. This morning, no change to the water and my chlorine as reading very very low. I dumped another gallon of chlorine in. How do I get it blue again? I've only had a pool for 2 months and I feel like I'm failing!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool after the storm

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 16:39

You will probably need to Slam (Shock Level And Maintain) with reference to Chlorine / CYA Chart and Pool Levels
I take it that your liquid shock was sodium hypochlorite, what strength was it because you may need a lot more liquid chlorine
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
Testing is important to know what quantity to put in. Use Pool Maths to work it out
jpmusic
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 gallons in ground pool

Postby jpmusic » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 20:09

Thank you! We were using 10% sodium hypochlorite. The water is back to blue and mostly clear, but the mustard algae is still slightly present. I should have added more last night when the reading was 5ppm, but I didn't. By this evening it was zero and I added 2 more gallons. So basically I want it at 10 or higher and hold it there until the decrease is not so drastic? My PH and alkalinity and stabalizer have all remained in normal range.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 02 Sep, 2017 02:24

Don't forget Slam stands for Shock Level And Maintain with regard to your CYA level
You should be testing more often and adding chlorine to keep you at shock level (it will take a lot longer if you don't)
You can still swim at shock level for your CYA
You are done when CC is 0.5 or lower, you pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less) and the water is clear.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”