Superchlorinated now cloudy pool

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Tkosiek
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24 foot 52 high above ground vinyl pentagram cartridge filter 1.5 pump

Superchlorinated now cloudy pool

Postby Tkosiek » Thu 24 May, 2018 15:02

Opened 24 foot aboveground pool last week to very green water. I super chlorinated with 8 gallons of 12.5 chlorine. Pool became cloudy. Continued schock with another 7 gallons of 12.5 schock still cloudy. The readings are as follows
Ph 7.8
Ta 28
Th 87
Fc 15
Tc 15
Cya 59
I'm in the process of raising the ta. The results came from a store. The pool is still cloudy can see pool brush to about 3 feet deep. I have read to just use a floc to clear but the cloudiness is coming from algae bloom how many gallons of chlorine should I use when I bring my ta up to slam and there after. Frustrated pool owner looking for help. The pool store tried to sell me every product but I told them I'm not buying until my levels are correct. I'm also running filter on high for 24 7.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Superchlorinated now cloudy pool

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 24 May, 2018 16:59

You are doing the right thing by shock chlorinating but you need to Slam with relation to your Chlorine / CYA Chart and your recommended Pool Levels
Get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF100) and keep out of the pool store
You don't need to get your TA up to slam
Use these common chemicalsto balance
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Superchlorinated now cloudy pool

Postby Teapot » Sat 26 May, 2018 07:07

Difficult to accurately test CYA if the water is cloudy as that is how the CYA test is carried out
The reagent makes the water cloudy.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”