Bleach

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Bleach

Postby chem geek » Wed 14 Dec, 2011 20:52

Is the Trichlor in a floating feeder and is that feeder sometimes parking itself near the railing? Trichlor is very acidic and can readily rust stainless steel and other metals. In fact, when I first got my pool and before I learned about BBB I used Trichlor in a floating feeder and it sometimes parked itself near some underwater stainless steel bars (used to hold on to for exercise) and the mounts closest to the Trichlor rusted.

If you are using Trichlor and Dichlor as your chlorine sources, then it is very doubtful that your CYA level is only 30 ppm. I suspect that your test kit is at fault. You should get the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100. Have you been using granulated Trichlor? If so, then it dissolves somewhat slowly so if settled to the bottom of the pool it could fade it from the high chlorine level or cause wrinkles from the acidity. If you are using Trichlor pucks/tabs, but just dumping them into the pool not in a floating feeder, then that would clearly be a problem so I assume you aren't doing that.

Stretch

Bleach

Postby Stretch » Wed 14 Dec, 2011 23:50

For this pool I use dichlor granules(Rarely) and trichlor pucks. The pucks are actually stored in deluxe Doughboy skimmer. This pool is located in a wetter part of Hawaii. We get a lot of tradewind showers. So with that being said, I dump water nearly weekly. Perhaps that is why the cya is low. Just for info though I use Aquacheck 7 test strips made by Hach(http://www.aquachek.com). I find these reliable compared to other strips.
I have had similar experiences in the past with other expandable liner pools. I haven't got a clue why the wrinkling and fading happens to only this liner and not any of my regular liner pools(uniform depth). Help!

...Stretch
Jennifer_Bolduc
I'm new here
I'm new here

Bleach

Postby Jennifer_Bolduc » Thu 29 Dec, 2011 22:41

Clorox bleach is a disinfectant. Meaning it will kill all the germs and any harmful insects that might be inside the pool. Bleach is often used to cool water tankers so i am guessing there would be no problem if you use it in the pool . :)
pourprsn

Bleach

Postby pourprsn » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 14:05

:wink:
Yes you can use bleach in your pool, Clorox regular (Sodium Hypochlorite) is best. If you go to Clorox.com there is a number you can call and they will break down how much you need to use. **Too much can deteriorate your liner so be careful. They told me 5 1/2 cups for 9000 gallons of water. (18 ft round by 52in sidewall) The phone number is also on the bottle. DO NOT use any other kind. That's what they said! Good luck and happy swimming!
pourprsn

Bleach

Postby pourprsn » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 14:08

:problem:
Almost forgot-Check out Arm and Hammer Baking Soda-cheap fix for pools alkalinity and VERY safe!
CJsDoll
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 27' above ground pool that has been put "in" the ground. Only a foot above ground. Hayward pro series sand filter and hayward pump. When we bought the house the pool was already set in the ground. We replaced liner and all.

Bleach

Postby CJsDoll » Tue 08 May, 2012 00:13

Our pool hasn't been used in 2 years and was very dark green with lots of algae,slime and frogs! (33,000 gal above ground pool that was set in the ground). We used over 15 gallons of DG bleach a little at a time over a period of a week trying to use up the old sand in our filter before we changed it to kill the all the green and slime. Used a whole bottle of powder bleach as well. Also, used shock, algae killer and clarify products. Changing the sand in our filter helped the MOST. We wish we hadn't used all those chemicals on the old sand.... not something I would suggest to anyone else in that position. Change the sand first then use the chemicals that you bought. We wasted money, but learned a lesson there. Just wish we could get rid of these dang frogs now! hahah! But I will still suggest using DG bleach to help..... it's cheap and does the trick! :-)
Good luck to all!
-Darla
CJsDoll
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 27' above ground pool that has been put "in" the ground. Only a foot above ground. Hayward pro series sand filter and hayward pump. When we bought the house the pool was already set in the ground. We replaced liner and all.

Bleach

Postby CJsDoll » Tue 08 May, 2012 00:17

pourprsn wrote::problem:
Almost forgot-Check out Arm and Hammer Baking Soda-cheap fix for pools alkalinity and VERY safe!

Does wonders!!! Good idea! :)
kyguy

Bleach

Postby kyguy » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 09:46

check out this website it has all the info you need on this topic.
http://www.poolsolutions.com/index.html

Bleach

Postby Guest » Thu 21 Aug, 2014 13:15

I have a 12x13 pool. So after reading the post, putting in a gallon of bleach will shock the pool within a few days right? My daughters pool party is next friday and I need it clear.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Bleach

Postby chem geek » Fri 22 Aug, 2014 12:40

Read how to SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain your pool. In fact, read the rest of the Pool School to learn how to properly maintain your pool. A one-time dose will not clear your pool.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”