dark green pool - how do I clean it??

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 15:34

mx357xm2 wrote:
Pool User
has not had the filter on once in the last 18 - 24 months, maybe longer... The water is the darkest of green colors.
Can not see through the 1st 5mm let alone to the bottom.

swimnsaveusa
a good algaecide to clear up the pool if you want it done quickly

What algaecide will quickly clear this much algae? And, how much of it would need to be added, assuming a 20,000 gallon pool?

11-17 oz. per 10,000 gallons of algaecide "60" will in-fact clear a green pool in a matter of a day or so.
4 oz. per 10,000 gallons of copper algaecide it's all basically just choice of what you want to use. If you already have high metals in the pool, your going to want a 60, eliminator or other algaecide. If you dont mind it, silver or copper algaecide will work. Our problem free is an algaecide/clarifier combo. and will work just fine. But to say an algaecide will not kill algae is a very false statement.

We ourselves carry 8 different types of algaecides that will all have similar results. Check them out HERE if you would like as each has the dosage and use instructions.

mx357xm2

Postby mx357xm2 » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 16:08

Every bottle of poly 60 algaecide that I have ever used says this:

"Pools containing heavy algae growth should be cleaned prior to using poly 60 algaecide."

You can see an example here in the instructions. "Pools containing heavy algae growth should be cleaned prior to using POOLTRINE 60"
http://h2oco.com/online_catalog/catalog/o/o_2.htm

Using any type of algaecide on this much algae would be a complete waste of time and money.

Metals, like copper and silver, will leave horrible stains.

I seriously doubt that you have any actual experience working on pools.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 16:17

mx357xm2 wrote:Every bottle of poly 60 algaecide that I have ever used says this:

"Pools containing heavy algae growth should be cleaned prior to using poly 60 algaecide."

You can see an example here in the instructions. "Pools containing heavy algae growth should be cleaned prior to using POOLTRINE 60"
http://h2oco.com/online_catalog/catalog/o/o_2.htm

Using any type of algaecide on this much algae would be a complete waste of time and money.

Metals, like copper and silver, will leave horrible stains.

I seriously doubt that you have any actual experience working on pools.

You're absolutely right! No experience whatsoever yet you call Hayward, Pentair, Jandy, or any of them and they will refer to us...Nationally!!! Is that your online "distribution" company? Why is it with over 20 years in the industry I have never heard of that chemical line OR distrubutor...

On the other note...

How about instead of you actually acting as if you had an ideal of what your talking about, you click the link I provided which come directly off the algaecide bottles. I mean...they are in-fact called algae-CIDE...Do yourself and pool owners a favor. Please do not give any advise. I notice there are a few people on this forum that give bad advice on here which really degrades the point of this entire forum...and you really take the cake! The algaecides you are getting are either inferior, or you have never actually used and/or researched them?
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 16:25

This is a real algaecide "60" product, and not that garbage your company sells. Notice, ours doesn't have a "oh, by the way, it may not really work" disclaimer:

Algaecide 60 Plus For Algae control in pools

Kills and prevents green, yellow and black algae

Algae, while not harmful to bathers, do not belong in a properly operated swimming pool. If allowed
to grow freely, the pool quickly becomes unusable. Algae can make your pool water cloudy, clog filters, create objectionable odors, increase chlorine demand and reduce effectiveness of other pool chemicals. Using a good algaecide as part of regular pool maintenance is the best way to control these microscopic plants. Algaecide 60 Plus is a highly concentrated liquid algaecide consisting of a cationic polymer, effective in killing different types of algae.

BENEFITS

␣ Broad spectrum – Effective on yellow, the greenish free-floating varieties of algae and black algae that cling to the walls and bottoms of pools.
␣ Non-foaming – Unlike the commonly used quaternary ammonium compounds, Algaecide 60 Plus is specially formulated to be non-foaming even when added in high concentration slug doses, thereby enhancing pool appearance.
␣ pH tolerant – Is effective in both acidic and alkaline pH ranges, thereby eliminating the need to alter pool chemistry prior to application.
␣ Non-metallic – This product does not stain pool surfaces or swimmers’ hair.
␣ No chlorine demand – Can be used in pools treated with chlorine chemicals and its use may
reduce the amount of chlorine chemicals normally required.
␣ Compatible with all sanitizers – Is compatible with most chemicals commonly used to treat pools and hence can be used by all.
␣ Preventative & cure – Prevents algae growth, eliminates existing algae in pools and even prevents growth of most algae during the winter months when pools are not in use.

DIRECTIONS FOR USE POOLS

␣ Initial dosage - For pools with just visible algae growth, add 11 to 17 ounces of Algaecide 60 plus per 10,000 gallons of water and remove settled algae. Add 6-11 ounces of this product per 10,000 gallons of water while treating freshly cleaned and filled pools.
␣ Maintenance dosage - Add 2 to 4 fluid ounces per 10,000 gallons of water every 5-7 days after initial treatment for maintenance.
␣ Winterizing - Add 6 to 10 fluid ounces of algaecide per 10,000 gallons of water for pools that have been properly treated during the swim season and are free of visible algae. For pools with some visible algae growth at the end of the swim season, add 12 to 17 ounces per 10,000 gallons of water.
mx357xm2

Postby mx357xm2 » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 17:06

Applied Biochemists is an Arch Chemicals, Inc. company.

"Headquartered in Norwalk, Connecticut (USA), Arch Chemicals, Inc. ("Arch Chemicals" or the "Company") is a global Biocides company with annual sales of over $1 billion."
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/arch-c ... _news_stmp
http://ir.archchemicals.com/

Arch chemicals makes HTH, POOLIFE, LeisureTime and GLB. Have you heard of any of them?

Here is another manufacturer, Chemtura, who makes Omni, BioGuard etc.

"Pools containing heavy growth of algae should be cleaned prior to using this product."
From BioGuard, a Chemtura company. http://www.poolgeek.com/BioGuard-Algae- ... P2232.aspx

The algaecide you sell is probably made by Arch or Chemtura. You're the one who should refrain from giving advice.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 17:12

mx357xm2 wrote:Applied Biochemists is an Arch Chemicals, Inc. company.

"Headquartered in Norwalk, Connecticut (USA), Arch Chemicals, Inc. ("Arch Chemicals" or the "Company") is a global Biocides company with annual sales of over $1 billion."
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/arch-c ... _news_stmp
http://ir.archchemicals.com/

Arch chemicals makes HTH, POOLIFE, LeisureTime and GLB. Have you heard of any of them?

Here is another manufacturer, Chemtura, who makes Omni, BioGuard etc.

"Pools containing heavy growth of algae should be cleaned prior to using this product."
From BioGuard, a Chemtura company. http://www.poolgeek.com/BioGuard-Algae- ... P2232.aspx

The algaecide you sell is probably made by Arch or Chemtura. You're the one who should refrain from giving advice.

Those companies you speak of do not make their own chemicals. They sub them out to companies such as Sun Chemicals, etc. You would know this if you had industry knowledge. You still haven't mentioned anything about H2O, which I would gladly tell you the way your website is designed, and the use of vocabulary, I would pass any partnership up in a heart beat as it sounds a little scammy....It's nice that you keep quoting the same line of heavy algal growth from different chemicals which you just admitted are made from the same company...what do you think, they are going to change the formula??? All your proving is they are sticking new labels on the same crappy chemical in the hopes that pool owners will just buy it with another name when they find out your first chemical doesn't work. Which proves my point that you guys sound a little scammy...
mx357xm2

Postby mx357xm2 » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 17:13

swimnsaveusa wrote:DIRECTIONS FOR USE POOLS

␣ Initial dosage - For pools with just visible algae growth,

Note that it says "just visible", which means very light algae, it does not say heavy growth.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 17:17

mx357xm2 wrote:
swimnsaveusa wrote:DIRECTIONS FOR USE POOLS

␣ Initial dosage - For pools with just visible algae growth,

Note that it says "just visible", which means very light algae, it does not say heavy growth.

I hate to burst your little bubble...however I have cleared many of pools with our algaecide products which you could not even see the bottom, let alone a few inches into the pool. If you want a successful chemical line, I would suggest you switch to our PROtech line. If algaecide doesn't do as its name implies...algaeCIDE...it would not be a very good seller, when, however, it does just that...KILLS algae, as well as prevents it.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 17:25

I would love to hear what you do when you end up with a strand of chlorine resistant algae since according to you algaecides don't work. :lol:
mx357xm2

Postby mx357xm2 » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 17:49

There is no algae that cannot be killed with chlorine.

Your algaecide is made by PROtech Pool Chemicals, which is owned by AllChem. It is the exact same chemical that everyone else sells. It will not work on heavy algae growth. Contact the manufacturer and ask them if you want. They will tell you that the product is not for clearing heavy algae growth.

There's a big difference between actually working on pools and sitting in a pool store selling people chemicals. :lol:

When your advice doesn't work, you just find a way to blame the customer and sell them more chemicals. :lol:

People who actually work on the pools need to get results. How many hours do you have on-site in the field?
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 18:16

mx357xm2 wrote:There is no algae that cannot be killed with chlorine.

Your algaecide is made by PROtech Pool Chemicals, which is owned by AllChem. It is the exact same chemical that everyone else sells. It will not work on heavy algae growth. Contact the manufacturer and ask them if you want. They will tell you that the product is not for clearing heavy algae growth.

There's a big difference between actually working on pools and sitting in a pool store selling people chemicals. :lol:

When your advice doesn't work, you just find a way to blame the customer and sell them more chemicals. :lol:

People who actually work on the pools need to get results. How many hours do you have on-site in the field?

Here's a little educational info for you...Allchem, is not a manufacturer and do not "own" PROtech chemicals...they are a distributor. I do not "sit" in a pool store selling chemicals, we offer advise, give pool owners the necessary knowledge and they make their own decisions, we do not push chemicals that aren't needed like most other stores. You obviously never dealt with us as we do not "blame" the customer and sell them more chemicals, this is a laughable sales tactic put in place by large box stores that have profit only in mind. Your are a complete idiot if you think your advise is anywhere near good, regarding on-site, it's rather funny you mention this as we have service companies that actually come to us when they are stumped on an issue, as well as inspecting commercial properties such as parks, etc...I think my own hours in the field alone, not including my co-workers will exceed yours for the rest of your career (if you're even in the industry).

Regarding your statement "there is no algae that cannot be killed with chlorine". That is the worst statement you have written so far. There is chlorine resistant strands. When chlorine levels are low enough for them to survive, the begin to develop a tolerance. As you raise the chlorine level, they build the tolerance with it therefore the only way to kill them, is with a super-chlorination AND algaecide combo. I think the issue here is the fact that we are retail, you may be a pool boy, and you obviously realize that our free advise is killing your business as homeowners can just look on here, get what they need, and save the $60-120 per MONTH you rape their pocketbooks on. If I were you, I would just take the fact that your incompetent, and pick up a book. A good one for you is "Pool & Spa Water Chemistry, A Testing & Treatment Guide" by Taylor. It has a special algaecide section in there for you on page 35 which may help your reliability! Another really good book is "The Book On Effective Water Treatment" by SeaKlear, page 15 will help you in that book too.
mx357xm2

Postby mx357xm2 » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 19:03

COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
AllChem Performance Products, LP
http://www.protechpoolsupplies.com/Supp ... 0-MSDS.pdf

Algae does not build a tolerance to chlorine. The only time chlorine will have a problem is when the cyanuric acid is too high. In that case, the pool will need to be drained, cleaned and refilled anyway to lower the cyanuric acid level to a good level.

Even with high cyanuric acid levels, the pool can be cleared with chlorine. The chlorine would have to be converted into monochloramine by adding Aqua Ammonia.

If you really think that you could clear this pool by adding a quart or two of algaecide, then you really are clueless.

Here is the correct way to clear a green pool.
mx357xm2

Postby mx357xm2 » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 19:11

swimnsaveusa
the only way to kill them, is with a super-chlorination AND algaecide combo.

This is what you tell customers when the algaecide does not work.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 19:13

mx357xm2 wrote:COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
AllChem Performance Products, LP
http://www.protechpoolsupplies.com/Supp ... 0-MSDS.pdf

Algae does not build a tolerance to chlorine. The only time chlorine will have a problem is when the cyanuric acid is too high. In that case, the pool will need to be drained, cleaned and refilled anyway to lower the cyanuric acid level to a good level.

Even with high cyanuric acid levels, the pool can be cleared with chlorine. The chlorine would have to be converted into monochloramine by adding Aqua Ammonia.

If you really think that you could clear this pool by adding a quart or two of algaecide, then you really are clueless.

Here is the correct way to clear a green pool.

Allchem is the DISTRIBUTOR...you clearly haven't done any research and are just typing the first thing that come's up on google. High CYA levels do NOT require dilution of the pool water. You can easily take care of this problem by raising the FC levels with liquid chlorine and hold them until the CYA levels come back down. Also, you do not need to add anything to chlorine in order to chlorinate to breakpoint over CYA...that's more garbage info. You would know this if you actually had experience. All your doing is making yourself sound less and less credible. I never once said all you need is algaecide, you always need to have proper chlorine levels. Here you are putting words in my mouth to try and back yourself out of that giant hole your in.
mx357xm2

Postby mx357xm2 » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 19:54

Our manufacturing facility was established as CFR Packaging in 1997 in Corsicana, Texas. Renamed AllChem Performance Products in 2003.
http://www.allchem.com/divisions/performance.htm

Who is a manufacturer or distributor is irrelevant. All 60 % poly algaecide is exactly the same.

With very high cyanuric acid levels, the amount of chlorine needed becomes impractical.

You probably sell people tons of trichlor, which makes their cyanuric acid go way too high. Then, when they get algae, you sell them overpriced algaecide, phosphate remover and clarifier. It becomes a vicious cycle that keeps the customers dependent on your biased advice.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”