closing with algae

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.

closing with algae

Postby Guest » Wed 30 Nov, 2005 15:34

Hey. I just bought a home last september and it has a 27 foot above ground pool. I had a heck of a time keeping it clean last summer. Partly because of not having the money to maintain it properly. at best it was extremely cloudy after shocking it. I had to shock quite a bit because of algae growth. most of the time it was green. so I was exstatic even when I could get it cloudy. :wink:
the thing is that I shut it down for the winter and it still had algae in it. we tried to get rid of it, but it just came right back. so we drained it below the light and put the cover on. Am i going to have major problems next summer opening it? what should i do. I dont want to ruin my pool. I am afraid that it will ruin my liner or something. I really dont know hardly anything about pools. Any help will be great, and remember, I am on an extremely tihgt budget going to college and working. thanks for any and all help you throw my way.
Bethany

No algae

Algae and pool closing

Postby No algae » Mon 26 Dec, 2005 08:49

Closing a pool with algae is not recommended.

If you are on a tight budget you could buy some copper sulfate crystals, dissolve them and add to the pool water. You will then have to drain the water in the spring and start over. Also be careful not to add too much as high concentrations of the copper sulfate can cause staining.

I think the right quantity is about 1.0 - 1.5 ounces/ 1,000 gallons. This should give a free copper concentration of 2 - 3 ppm.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”