opening pool/green algae

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
kellymom

opening pool/green algae

Postby kellymom » Thu 24 May, 2007 18:08

hi. just took pool cover off. bottom of pool has green algae. pool is above-ground, 25ft round. water level is below filter---pool is about 1/4 full. so if i do the chlorine/algaecide...how can i run the filter if the pool is not full??
if i top it off, wont i have an even bigger mess and more algae??
help.

me_too

Re: opening pool/green algae

Postby me_too » Thu 24 May, 2007 21:29

kellymom wrote:hi. just took pool cover off. bottom of pool has green algae. pool is above-ground, 25ft round. water level is below filter---pool is about 1/4 full. so if i do the chlorine/algaecide...how can i run the filter if the pool is not full??
if i top it off, wont i have an even bigger mess and more algae??
help.

Fill it up, run a backwash a few minutes just to lift up the sand that may have settled over the winter, vacuum what debris you can to waste (keep the garden hose in the pool to top it off). Check and repair any leaks in the plumbing.

When you've vacuumed most of the debris to waste, check the pH. If it's about 7.0 or so (I usually see <7.0 all the time) , dump about 4 pounds or so (2.1 kilograms) of 65% cal-hypo at dusk, and run the filter overnight. You can also use bleach if you want. Report back if that's your preference.

There is no need to add anything else, no algaecide, nothing but chlorine. Depending on what type of chlorine you used last year, you could use that too.

When the water is clear, in about 36 to 48 hours, balance it.

Starting up a pool like yours should cost between $10 and $20. Use the rest of the pool-opening budget for pool toys for the kids.
kellymom

opening pool/green algae

Postby kellymom » Fri 25 May, 2007 09:48

hi. and thanks. i am cleaning and filling the pool now. am following your advice. i imagine it will take about a day to fill the pool. i will vacuum as it fills. working on reconnecting everything too. does my sand-filter pump need to be cleaned??? do i change the sand?? ( can you tell i usually dont do all this stuff?) thanks.
the water is actually clear, with only the green stuff at the bottom. will this vacuum up easily?

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”