Purple, very sandy algea ???

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.

Purple, very sandy algea ???

Postby Guest » Tue 29 May, 2007 18:10

Hi all,

I've done a little searching but haven't found what I consider an answer for this... I have an inground vinyl liner pool. (17x35) Anyway, after opening I notice lots of streaks of this purple algea, it feels very sandy and for the most part brushes off and falls to the bottom.

I have super shocked it, scrubbed it, vacumned it up and repeated the process. I can see a few more stubborn spots but will get to them.

IS this purple stuff really BLACK ALGEA?

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Wed 30 May, 2007 01:02

I doubt it. Black Algae, in my experience, usually shows up as black spots that are hard and sort of tarry if you scrape across it.
quickster65

Re: Purple, very sandy algea ???

Postby quickster65 » Thu 26 Jul, 2007 23:55

Had a similar problem with my inground pebble-tec a couple of years ago. It was almost like a violet colored sand that formed on my vacuum hoses--only on the hoses (vinyl). I was perplexed also--searched the internet and couldn't find a thing. Someone finally told me it was COPPER! I've never seen anything to verify it, but I've made sure since then not to use algaecide of shock with copper in it, and it has gone away and never come back. Maybe this will help you--its probably worth a shot. Good luck.

Anonymous wrote:Hi all,

I've done a little searching but haven't found what I consider an answer for this... I have an inground vinyl liner pool. (17x35) Anyway, after opening I notice lots of streaks of this purple algea, it feels very sandy and for the most part brushes off and falls to the bottom.

I have super shocked it, scrubbed it, vacumned it up and repeated the process. I can see a few more stubborn spots but will get to them.

IS this purple stuff really BLACK ALGEA?
Florida

Purple algae

Postby Florida » Sun 29 Jul, 2007 18:59

I also have a purple sandlike residue in my inground pool. We've had this pool for 14 yrs and have never had this problem before. Can't seem to get rid of it. Is there anything to use to actually KILL it?

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”