Mustard Algea????

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
rozebudd

Mustard Algea????

Postby rozebudd » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 12:57

I am going nuts. Last summer we started seeing this brown sor tof 'dust' all of the pool. I kept vacuuming thinking it was just dust left over from being winterized/leaves settling etc. When I finally got to the pool store and described it they assured me I had somehow contracted "MUSTARD ALGEA" they sold me a plethera of algecide, shock, instructions and I tried ALL summer to get it under control. I'd vacuume to waste and it would all look nice and clean and clear and a day or two later dust, in plies all over the bottom of the pool. I am confused a little because some people are saying they have a green pool, up the sides etc. and I do not. There is just this constant 'dirt' on the bottom that goes in colord form brown, just looking like a thin settling of dust, to a mily white cluster. I am at my wits end now into my 2nd summer of trying to get the bottom of my pool to look clean again. Oh yeah, this year as soon as I opened the pool and it cleared up I could see I STILL had the same issues, so no cold does not kill this stuff! So I went to yet another pool store who was also certain it is mustard algea and again I did the whole rigorous treatments they suggested and today I still have the algea, if in fact that's what I'm dealing with. Can anyone help?? Are there pool peopl in the Kansas City metro area anyone has dealt with and trust to some look at it and treat/diagnose? Thanks a bunch.

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 16:16

Post you pool volume and all your test readings.

You need to shock to a high level in order to kill the algae and not let your readings get out of whack.
Debbiebe
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Debbiebe » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 20:12

Isn't it funny, I had not been on since last year, and here you are, It is not mustard algae!!!. Do not spend more on chemicals till you try this.
The water return pipe in your pool ( Get a finely- tightly woven white sock and the water that blows into the pool put the white sock over it and rubberband it on, Your problem will be solved.
I still wanted to know why this is happening as its very frusterating. and every one I've spoken to with a sand filter has had this same problem and this has solved it for them, in 3 days look at the sock inside out it will be slightly brownish with little particles caught in it, ....o.k. now to the cause we are taking the filter apart to see if there is a cracked lateral on the inside of the filter, i will get back on immediately to give more answers. I'm sorry if I sound like a know it all, I'm actually pretty quiet, but I've really been there with you....

Mustard algae

Postby Guest » Tue 05 Jun, 2007 13:56

Debbiebe,
I also have "mustard algae." Unfortunately, my jets are too flush with the pool sides for me to rubberband a sock over them. I am anxiously awaiting to hear what you discover wrong with your pump. Thanks!!!
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 00:18

It could be a hairline crack in a lateral or stand pipe in the filter.

Mustard algae

Postby Guest » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 00:46

Is a cracked pipe in a the pump expensive to fix? The yellow stuff appeared in my pool about 2 weeks ago. I was suspicious of my pump before that. When I opened my pool in April, I noticed that the water coming out through my jets has a lot of air bubbles in it. It was not like that in previous years. Any thoughts on what that means?
Debbiebe
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Debbiebe » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 07:43

O.K. here we go... I read somewhere a sand filter should be 3/4 full. ours requires 200 lb,which is not quite 1/2 full. Last night we added another 50 lb for a total of 250. I was also not aware that every time you open your large filter and small filter you have to lube your O rings. (lubing the O rings seals it better), we took the sock off and let it go full force last night, , Today there is less dirt on bottom and the flow in to the pool is like the first year we had it, strong flow. My neighbor took his filter apart and laterals were O>K> so we did not go through all that, I'm going to put the sock back on and be happy, for now.
For the person whose pipe does not extend out enough to hook a sock on it ,A House hold vacum extension bar may fit it perfect or a plumming pipe cut a few inches long, . I used some womens white socks that i did not like for me . theyre just tightly woven.
I talked to Recreation Warehouse and Leslies Last night, Had blank look on all their faces??? This is too common a problem. I was told to add some DE also everytime I back wash and that might help, but I should not have to do this, I also think a crack in the laterals might be some thing to it but right now I wan to float in my pool and relax and worry about it later. Deb
Debbiebe
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Debbiebe » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 07:57

I want to clarify, my pool balance is good. If You are able to put a sock on and it stops the pool dust on the bottom it is clearly not Mustard Algae. I think if your told you have mustard algae try this first, before the expense, to buggsw thank you for you ideas!!
lrkscheiba

brown buildup

Postby lrkscheiba » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 18:52

same here brown like dirt or dust on bottom of pool. Been trying almost everything and nothing seem to help until I talked to a pool person who told me to put a panyhose over the skimmer basket and vaccum to waste.
Oh what a dirty stuff I been picking up , the problem is I have to wait until the water fills up again and start over with clean sock. So far I done it 3times and everytime it gets less and less. If this isn't solving the problem I start all over and empty the pool completly, so far i think I replaced 15000 gallon any how. Im just frustrated is not only time also money involved, can enjoy my pool at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Debbiebe
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Debbiebe » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 19:34

Posted on: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 07:57 Subject:
O.k> i could not leave it alone, big storm last night I got in and Cleaned the pool this morning , I decided to leave the sock off all day, It seems adding more sand to the filter has solved my problem of pool dust there is none after 12 hours running the filter on high, as for my previous post. the sand filter I have calls for 200 lbs of sand which is not quite half full, we added another 50 lbs and the problem is gone, 3 years of searching for answers, yeaaaa!, try it you have nothing to loose...good luck

Mustard algae

Postby Guest » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 22:11

Is adding sand to the filter difficult? Do you need to be very strong?
Lorena

brown powder in pool

Postby Lorena » Wed 28 May, 2008 20:27

:) OK, So i have a cartridge filter, and i have had brown powdery looking stuff in filter, put skimmer sock in, and when I remove it you can literally roll the stuff off with your hand is very disturbing. When it dries it rips apart. My Cartridge filter is going on 3rd year, is completely in tact, I have spent more money and time etc.... you name it chlorine etc....
I seriuosly would like to know what the heck this stuff is. Can't really vaccuum to waste as it moves somewhat when you move over it, not sure how to vaccuum to waste with cartridge filter, ready to scream :
I always believed algae to be slimey, this stuff is not, saw in my neighbors pool too, however she is clueless as well....HELP!!! What is it..it coats the bottom of the pool, clarifier gets it to skimmer and somewhat dissapates eventually, but do not like swimming in stuff of unknown origin...Any light to be shed?? Pool has been tested and completely balanced have had this prob for 2 years now.

Mustard Algea????

Postby Guest » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 13:37

Thank you Debbie, I just started having this problem over the last 2 months and i have spent so much money trying to get my Mustard Algea cleared up...I do think we may have a crack in the filter, and need to change the sand...I am past the frustrating point...Glad that I read your post...

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”