Green Pool

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
dbreeze

Green Pool

Postby dbreeze » Sat 02 Jun, 2007 20:30

I opened my pool yesterday and it was very swampy. After shocking, using algaecide and filtering for 24 hours it all settled to the bottom. However, when I tried to vacuum the pool the algae from the bottom was coming out of the jets. I was told by the pool co. that I should try and brush the algae to the deep end and vacuum it out on waste that the algae particals were too small and were getting through the sand - that just made a bigger mess!!! This is only the 3rd season with this pool and I did not have this problem before. Does anybody have any idea what I can do?

Dbreeze
Howell, NJ

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sat 02 Jun, 2007 21:53

Vacuuming to waste from the deep end is a good idea. It avoids the junk from clogging up your filter with extra stuff and allows you to add some fresh water at the same time - Hang the garden hose into the pool and be filling while you are vacuuming. Pushing it all to one spot avoids losing too much water during the vacuuming.

Regardless, If you are still seeing green algae, it means you haven't killed it all.

Keep your chlorine at shock level for 2 or 3 days, keep your pH at 7.2 to 7.4 I'd use liquid chlorine to shock, at least until you know what your other readings are.

If you post your complete set of test readings and your pool volume. Is this a plaster pool?

You need a large dose of patience. This can take a week or so to get back in balance.
dbreeze

Green Pool

Postby dbreeze » Sun 03 Jun, 2007 10:47

Liner Pool, 13,000 gallons. I just took a sample to the pool place - this is what they gave me....
FAC - 0
TAC - 0
PH - 7
T Alk - 10
Calcium Hardness - 230
CYA - 0

All they told me to do was add 13 lbs of Alk Up and bring a sample in tomorrow. They told me not to shock it - so how am I going to kill the algae? Do you know if it is common that the Algae would visably filter back into the pool when I tried to vacuum it?? I'm afraid there is something wrong with the filter and the pool company won't own up to it as it should still be under warranty.

What do you think of Floc? This is something I have been hearing alot about.

Thanks!
D Breeze
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sun 03 Jun, 2007 12:57

They probably told you not to shock it because to them shock means dichlor, trichlor and cal hypo which are all acid and reduce your pH somewhat. With a vinyl pool your pH is very important. So, one more day won't hurt to wait to kill the algae. Plus they want you to be sure that it all gets circulated well.

If you use liquid chlorine to shock you won't have this effect, it will actually raise your pH mildly. 3 gallons of regular strength Chlorox will bring you into shock level. You don't have any CYA so the sunshine will burn off the chlorine rather quickly. You'll need to add a little Chlorox every day until your CYA is higher. Get 3 lbs of CYA and put it in a sock/stocking and hang it off the ladder - it takes a long time to dissolve so you shouldn't broadcast it. That's all you should ever need of CYA for this season.

I think floc is usually a waste of money and is surely a waste at this time in your pool out of balance condition. With a little patience and filter time and the right balance, your water will be blue and clear.

One more thing that may help a lot is to use skimmer socks. Put a skimmer sock in your skimmer basket - it will help filter the algae before it gets to your filter. Since you have so much algae right now, check it frequently and rinse the sock out and put it back on your skimmer.

Don't be surprised if your water get's cloudy when you raise your chlorine - it is killing the algae and you are seeing dead algae.

Run your pump/filter 7/24, brush, vac, backwash and test your water daily until your water is in balance and clear.
dbreeze

Green Pool

Postby dbreeze » Sun 03 Jun, 2007 21:33

Thanks so much for your time and the advice! I'll work on it and keep you posted!

Dbreeze
DBreeze

Finally!!!

Postby DBreeze » Thu 07 Jun, 2007 19:36

Buggsw - Thanks so much for all of your advice after 6 days my pool is balanced & clear!! Supposed to be 90ish here tomorrow looking forward to finally being able to use it.
DBreeze
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sat 09 Jun, 2007 15:34

Great! You are welcome.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”