trying for a week to get rid of the algae

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
scottyboy
I'm new here
I'm new here

trying for a week to get rid of the algae

Postby scottyboy » Mon 04 Jun, 2007 10:18

Hi everyone. Just came across this forum a week ago and decided to post. Last year and opening my pool this year, have had problems with algae. The pool store said run the filter 24/7, 6 bags of shock the first day, 18 oz black algaecide, 5 bags the next day and more algaecide. I have a 24' above ground pool. approx 14000 gals water. I still cannot get rid of the green water. The bottom of the pool seems okay. My free clorine yesterday was 15 ppm, down to 3 today. My Ph is 7.2, alkilinity seems fine, my stabilizer seems high at 150 ppm. I think I need to keep the chlorine up consistently, is this correct. BTW, I have a cartridge filter. I have been brushing it the last couple of days. Even though I had this pool for at least 5 years, my pool knowldge is not great. I also bought a Nature2 purifier but do not want to start using until I can get this pool balanced. What about bleach? How much and for how long? Thanks everyone.

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Mon 04 Jun, 2007 23:17

You need to keep shocking to at least 15 ppm until it holds overnight.
Always add your shock/chlorine at night.

Have you had your water tested for copper and other metals? I wouldn't think you'd have green water after this much shock.

I'm going to take you to 25 ppm. Use 5.8 gallons of regular strength Chlorox (6% strength) or 2.8 gallons of pool store chlorine (12.5%).
Add enough each day to keep it at 20 ppm. When it holds close to that overnight, you should be able to let it fall down to normal and then just add a little chlorine regularly to keep it within normal range. You really need to keep your Total and Free Chlorine higher too. Ideally 8 with that level of CYA.

Your stabilzer is high and that's why I'm having you shock to 25 ppm. It takes more chlorine, the higher your CYA. Do NOT use anything with stabilizer in it. Pool store shock and tablets are continually adding to your CYA - liquid chlorine is not. You would have to dump and replace 60-80% of your water to get your CYA within ideal levels. So, I would start vacuuming to waste and refilling while vacuuming, to slowly bring the level down. In the meantime - don't add anything that has stabilizer in it.

Postby Guest » Mon 04 Jun, 2007 23:37

How do I vacuum to waste. I just got this cartridge filter last year. My old DE filter had a cutoff between the motor and the tank, this filter does not have that. Also, my test strips only go up to 15 ppm, how do I know if I'm at 25 ppm. Do I need a different test kit? Thanks for the help Buggs. I will try this tomorrow night.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Mon 04 Jun, 2007 23:58

Hard to say. It depends on your valve setup for your filter. Some don't have a vacuum to waste option.

If you get a FAS/DPD testkit you can test higher levels of chlorine.

Also, in a pinch, you can use distilled water. Mix equal parts of pool water and distilled water and use for test, then multiply the result by 2.

If 3 parts distilled to 1 part pool water, multiply by 3.

A shot glass works well for measuring the parts.

It's not totally accurate, but will give you a better idea.
dontcry

Postby dontcry » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 08:33

with a CYA this high, wouldn't it better to drain your pool and replace with new water, instead of maintaining a high level of chlorine daily?
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Thu 07 Jun, 2007 04:34

Depends on a few factors.

What type of pool, what the temperature is and the water restrictions in the area, type of fill water, etc.

Postby Guest » Thu 07 Jun, 2007 20:43

well, I got the green out of it, but now I have to get the water to be not so cloudy.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sat 09 Jun, 2007 15:40

Just keep your chlorine up, your pH on the low side of the normal range and keep filtering 7/24. It can take a week to clear.

Postby Guest » Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:38

Got everything now beautiful blue and clear. It's so nice to finally swim in a clean pool. Now that I have my nature2 purifier, hopefully will not have any problems the rest of the summer.
walshes5

should I use my Nature2 or wait until algae is gone?

Postby walshes5 » Wed 13 Jun, 2007 15:42

I too am having algae problems. Pool (10,000 gallons) was fine, everythng was balanced, had the N2 running. Then we had a ton of rain, things got screwed up. I've been shocking it, running filter 24/7, cleaning cartridge filter out (rinsing it off, cleaning out "tank"). We threw in some algaecide today, too.

Anything else I should be doing? And should I bypass the Nature2 until things settle down? pH was about 6.9 last time I checked.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”