What is this algae?

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Pjkatz04
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 25k inground

What is this algae?

Postby Pjkatz04 » Sat 06 Jul, 2019 18:11

Hello!

I’m a new pool owner. I’ve been successful and get my pool (house purchased in December) opened and levels are balanced. Water is crystal clear. However this fluffy looking green/dark stuff that clumps together keeps appearing throughout on the pool floor. It vacuums up really easily but always comes back after a day or two...

Does anyone know what this is (I’m assuming algae) and how to permanently get rid of it?

Thank you!
Pete

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: What is this algae?

Postby Teapot » Sun 07 Jul, 2019 00:10

Welcome Pete,
Probably algae, despite what you may think about balanced chemicals, that only applies when things are perfect with no green.
You have to unbalance Chem's for a while and shock the water with more chlorine. Do not add anti algae, that product is a waste of money and doesn't do what it says on the tin.
You need a good test kit not dip strips and post your water test results. Meanwhile add sufficient chlorine to get the level up to 10ppm
WalterVandervort
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Length: 25m
width: 21m
depth: 1.5m

Postby WalterVandervort » Tue 25 Feb, 2020 04:20

if it is algae you can use Clorox Pool and Spa my family uses it and I see it good.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 25 Feb, 2020 13:09

You don't need any propriety products to kill algae just a Slam (Shock Level and Maintain) dosing of chlorine

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”