Filter valve question

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: 28' x 10' indoor, liner, oil heater, sand filter.

Filter valve question

Postby Phil.c » Sun 11 Aug, 2019 04:23

If I don't use my indoor pool for a few days I get a lot of what looks like clumps of brown dirt on the bottom, it's actually algae which is easily dispersed into the water, backwashing doesn't get rid of it, I have tried to vacuum it out on circulation but it still appears, why does it come through the jets as there's new sand in the filter which should hold it?

I use a dip-stick tester and have had the water tested by my pool store and the levels are ok?

Phil

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Filter valve question

Postby Teapot » Sun 11 Aug, 2019 15:26

Levels Ok means absolutely nothing if you don't understand pool chemistry. You got algae you have bad chemicals really simple.
Lots of reasons why fine algae, bacteria etc pass through filters. Let's deal with chemical levels first get a decent test kit and take ownership of your pool and don't be a patsy to the pool store.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 11 Aug, 2019 17:06

Seconded what Teapot says
You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in thestates) to get accurate results as maintaining an appropiate shock level means testing quite often during the day
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Mon 12 Aug, 2019 02:20

Thanks, I'm looking around for a test kit as none of those you suggested are sold in the UK.

Teapot, your in the UK, perhaps you can recommend one?

BTW, when I said that the levels were ok, Allswim of Cardiff tested a water sample and the tolerances were right.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 12 Aug, 2019 03:52

Phil.c wrote:Thanks, I'm looking around for a test kit as none of those you suggested are sold in the UK.

BTW, when I said that the levels were ok, Allswim of Cardiff tested a water sample and the tolerances were right.

What did the CYA say. How do you chlorinate?
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Mon 12 Aug, 2019 04:18

I didn't say that?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 12 Aug, 2019 07:00

Denniswiseman wrote:
Phil.c wrote:Thanks, I'm looking around for a test kit as none of those you suggested are sold in the UK.

What did the CYA say. How do you chlorinate?

You didn't give any numbers but CYA is the most important and you should have been given it when you had the water tested
How do you chlorinate? because if you are using stabilised chlorine that will increase your CYA rendering your chlorine ineffective
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 12 Aug, 2019 10:58

Do you know what allswim used to test with? They should have given you a print out VB stating what the actual levels are.
Not to worry, getting your own kit is by far the best plan. Yes I can help, send me a message using the email symbol and we'll get you sorted, you'll save the cost of the kit back with the advice on here.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Mon 12 Aug, 2019 13:03

Couldn't find an email symbol so hopefully a PM will get to you?
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Wed 14 Aug, 2019 07:22

After taking off the original Heat exchanger, we found it to be in excellent condition, however there are two brass connectors that allow the big pool pipe via the big nut to be connected to it, inside is what looks like a brass sleeve which is copper coated, these were probably coated with something when fitted twenty years ago, but they are now corroded .
I'm now looking to replace them, can anyone help please, I'm in the UK

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”