Green Pool, No Algae, Orange Cl, OK ph?

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
davidafonso
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Gre Grenade 436 x 336 x 119 cm

Green Pool, No Algae, Orange Cl, OK ph?

Postby davidafonso » Sun 23 Feb, 2020 13:36

Hi guys,
Greetings from Portugal.
I have a Gre Grenade (http://www.gre.es/pt/produto/16551/790086-grenade-436-x-336-x-119-cm.aspx) pool since last summer and this winter break seems to not be doing any good.
The pool is like this:

It is very green but there are no algae (it seems to me). The water test is as following:

So, ph seems to be ok but cl goes orange and there is no orange scale (??).

The filter has been working properly (1hx3/day) and I have been cleaning it every couple of weeks.

We have left the "blanket" (http://www.gre.es/pt/produto/16592/7795 ... 6x336.aspx) on top since October. Might that have caused some of the demage?

What should we do? Me and my wife are really worried that the pool might be damaged for good. :(

Thanks in advance for your help.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Green Pool, No Algae, Orange Cl, OK ph?

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 24 Feb, 2020 04:57

You need to Slam (Shock Level and Maintain) with relation to the Chlorine / CYA Chart and your Recommended Pool Levels
How do you chlorinate
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
Cyanuric acid builds up and makes your chlorine ineffective
Let's have a full list of your numbers especially CYA with a FAS/DPD test kit
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
davidafonso
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby davidafonso » Mon 24 Feb, 2020 12:29

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for your reply but I think I'm too noob to understand it all.

From Slam (Shock Level and Maintain) I understood that first thing I need to do is buy a new test kit, right? Mine is "too simple" and the orange level on the CL mg/l doesn't allow me to read anything,right? Is it something like this i need to buy: Amazon?

Side question: What is my clorine test exactly? FC? TC? Shame on me. I thought since my test is returning orange on the clorine side I tought I had too much clorine. But SLAM is meant for FC around zero. What exactly means the orange result? This is what have been using:

After that, since my ph is OK, I can start to do the SLAM by buying the liquid clorine. It is this, right: Portuguese Store. Since I do not know my CYA level I do not know how many liters should I pour into the pool, right?

If I am using the Pool Math app right if I say CYA is 40, I have a slam target FC of 16 so I should pour 3.6 liters of the liquid clorine into the pool, is that it?

So, for sure I am missing a more detailed water test kit. I need to buy one ASAP.
Right now with what I have I can only identify this, right?

FC: offchart->orange
TC:
pH: 7.5
TA:
CH:
CYA:

While I do not have a detailed test kit is there something else I sould do?

Sorry if I have something really stupid. Right now I feel a little bit overwhelmed with so much information.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 24 Feb, 2020 13:47

Do you not have a pool store who will test for you as a start
You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100) to get accurate results as maintaining an appropiate shock level means testing quite often during the day (the Taylor K2006C can be got from the USA but may be available elsewhere)
FC is the chlorine available to sanitise CC (combined chlorine) is the used up chlorine the two added together TC (total chlorine)
I've no idea what the orange is
That is sodium hyochlorite (liquid chlorine) (plain bleach not thick or scented can be used) You will use a lot more than 5 litres, I buy 20 litres
You have read the Chlorine/CYA chart correctly
The amount of liquid chlorine needed is relative to the pool capacity and your chlorine strength
A cheap CYA test will let you know where you are so that you can make a start
If your CYA is to high you may have to do a partial drain and refill as there is no way of negating it except over time
Bear in mind that SLAM stands for Shock Level and Maintain so frequent daily testing is needed
Once you have your pool under control you will find it simple to keep it there
davidafonso
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby davidafonso » Thu 05 Mar, 2020 06:59

Hi guys,
Some good news, I think.
So, for the SLAM process I've used 80l of sodium hypochlorite in total. After 36 hours since the beginning of the process I added 3 CTX-39 flocculant gel, and after another 36 hours. The water was clear.
I've just finished vacuum the pool and it looks like this:
So maybe it is too soon but I've tested the water, both with my old kit and with some new strips I've bought and got the following results:
So free chlorine is through the roof (as expected as it is still under the influence of the sodium hypochlorite, right?), but pH also seems to be a little bit high. Should I act right away on bringing it down or it may still have to do with the process? Both Alkalinity and CNY seem ok, you agree?
Thanks again for all the help.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 05 Mar, 2020 09:00

To check if your slam is finished do the overnight chlorine loss test. (OCLT) You can then balance your pool
Your strips and test kit aren't that good for accurate results and it's hard for us to distinguish
Just let us have your numbers
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”