Inground pool - very bad condition

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
hn2127
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 30k gallon inground rectangular pool vinyl liner- sand filter

Inground pool - very bad condition

Postby hn2127 » Tue 05 May, 2020 12:43

Hello Everyone
I sure hope you can help. I recently purchased a home that has a huge inground pool (vinyl liner).. The pool hasnt been opened in 2 years and has also been left uncovered so you can imagine what a muddy green swamp we are dealing with. This pool is around 4 ft in the shallow end and 12 feet in the deep end roughly 35k gallon pool. We started working on it about a week ago. I went to lowes bought a sump pump and drained the pool not all of it , but about half way - there is 2ft of water now in the shallow end. I can see the bottom of the pool in the shallow end now however the deep end obviously is still a swamp. We have pulled out almost 10 wheel barrels full of leaves and dirt. There is plenty more down there I know. My first problem is the filter will not back wash. Initially, I thought the drain at the bottom of the pool must be clogged for all the mud and leaves. Even after pulling out the 10 barrels and taking the leaf rake over the drain, still no water coming out of the backwash drain. I cant see to the bottom of the pool to know if the drain is actually clogged and im scared to drain the pool all of the way because of the vinyl liner. What do I do??? Im stuck!! please help

Haley

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Inground pool - very bad condition

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 06 May, 2020 03:22

You should have backwashed while the pool was full through the skimmer and not main drain
You don't want to backwash dirty water through your filter
Don't panic about using the MD they don't do a lot
It may be an idea to create a temporary filter in the pool and circulate the sump pump water though it to get the worse out
The pump may not be able to prime to backwash
Regarding the MD being blocked you could try reverseing the flow by connecting a mains water supply to the MD pipe at the pump end
This will require some modification and you may need some professional help (could be cheaper in the long run)

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”