Yellow algae problem with sand in my cartridge filter

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
davevanloon
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Gunite, inground pool. It is quite old, possibly 40 years, and appears to have been resurfaced at some time in the past. We have been here 14 years. I believe the capacity is 10,000 gallons. It has a Hayward cartridge filter and a recently installed solar heating system. It also uses a Pentair chlorinator with 3" tablets.

Yellow algae problem with sand in my cartridge filter

Postby davevanloon » Tue 25 Aug, 2020 08:32

I have an old concrete pool that appears to have been resurfaced probably 16 years ago. My filter is a Hayward cartridge type. My pool water chemistry is within norms (PH 7.4, chlorine currently high - trying to control current yellow algae situation - not rampant but annoying). My pool surface is quite rough, I am getting a lot of white powder/sand in the filter. Could this be from "delamination" and will the rough surface contribute to the yellow algae situation? Could resurfacing my pool solve the problem?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Yellow algae problem with sand in my cartridge filter

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 25 Aug, 2020 13:05

You need to Slam (Shock Level and Maintain) with relation to Chlorine / CYA Chart and Recommended Pool Levels

Let's have your numbers (CYA is very important)
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:

You are using Trichlor so are adding CYA constantly
Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
To reduce your CYA you have to do a partial drain and refill
Continous use of Trichlor/Dichlor will raise your CYA which means you have to raise your chlorine level as well
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Yellow algae problem with sand in my cartridge filter

Postby Teapot » Thu 27 Aug, 2020 03:29

davevanloon wrote: My pool surface is quite rough, I am getting a lot of white powder/sand in the filter. Could this be from "delamination" and will the rough surface contribute to the yellow algae situation? Could resurfacing my pool solve the problem?

Could well be delamination, as Dennis said lets see all your numbers, baring in mind delamination can be a slow process with damage started some time ago. With expensive finishes like this you need an expensive test kit to keep it good and not relying on 10 dollar test strips.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”