White Water Mold (I think)

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
JohnTDOT
I'm new here
I'm new here

White Water Mold (I think)

Postby JohnTDOT » Fri 05 Nov, 2021 09:47

Hello I just came upon a new problem that I have never had before. My indoor pool looks to be full of white water mold. Im not sure how this happened. Its a large indoor pool that uses CO2 and liquid chlorine. The only thing that I did differently than usual was manually added muriatic acid. My CO2 tank was empty and I had to wait until the next day for a refill. I added about 6L of muriatic acid in a 120,000 gallon pool to lower the PH as it was about 7.6-7.7. about 6 hours later I started to see the white water mold. I super chlorinated and vacuumed the pool. It isn't as bad but there is some left. What should I try next? Also do you think adding the acid was the cause or just a coincidence?
The pool levels are currently
Chlorine 2.5
PH 7.5
Alkalinity 100
calcium hardness 150

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: White Water Mold (I think)

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 06 Nov, 2021 07:49

Hmm, tricky without pictures etc. Does it look like broken up tissue paper?

I can't fathom a reason the muratic acid would cause white water mold but could it have been there stuck in with some limescale or be limescale that the lowering of the pH with muratic acid has released. Did you pour into one spot or distribute the acid around the pool? Would be handy to know a bit more of your chemistry with total alkalinity and calcium hardness. Are you using salt chlorination, do you use CYA stabiliser?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”