green water in my quick up pool

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: green water in my quick up pool

Postby Backglass » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:26

angelaarmstrong wrote:If my ph is too high, wont putting chlorine in make it higher.
The pool is almost full - water is clear but still a light dusting of green algae on bottom of pool.

Please talk chemicals to me - I dont really understand them yet and I need to dose the pool today.

Unfortunately, all I know is chlorine. You said your daughter gets red, itchy eyes in chlorine pools. This might not be an allergy at all, but just poorly maintained pool water. (Incorrect PH and LOW chlorine causes itchy red eyes).

That being said, there are many chlorine free alternatives but as you have learned some work marginally and many are pure snake oil.

If it were me, I would try properly chlorinating and see if she has problems. If so you could always switch to something else as chlorine dissipates readily over time. I would shock to 10ppm, keep it there for 24 hours and then maintain a free chlorine of 3ppm.

===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
angelaarmstrong

Postby angelaarmstrong » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 16:06

Backglass
Thank you. I think your right. I will go to shop tomorrow and get those chemicals. I will let you know the outcome.
angelaarmstrong

Postby angelaarmstrong » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 05:30

ok, I have liquid shock in a big black container. My pool is 18x12x4'. How much liquid should I put in.
pk4217
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby pk4217 » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:34

your daughter is allergic to a lot of things, if I were you, I'll seek opinion from a doctor, and not use her to try the chemicals.

ever consider UV system, or you're using ozone system? it might worth a research for your case.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:47

angelaarmstrong wrote:ok, I have liquid shock in a big black container. My pool is 18x12x4'. How much liquid should I put in.

You need to use your test kit. You need enough to get above 10ppm to begin with and that is assuming no CYA. We need to know your CYA level. You didn't need to buy pool store "liquid shock", bleach from the grocery store is the exact same thing (although a lower concentration).

Regardless, in order to give you a ballpark dose, we need to know what you bought. What is the concentration?

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:50

angelaarmstrong wrote:ok, I have liquid shock in a big black container. My pool is 18x12x4'. How much liquid should I put in.

You need to use your test kit. You need enough to get above 10ppm to begin with and that is assuming no CYA. We need to know your CYA level. You didn't need to buy pool store "liquid shock", bleach from the grocery store is the exact same thing (although a lower concentration).

Regardless, in order to give you a ballpark dose, we need to know what you bought. What is the concentration?

An ozone or UV system isn't going to kill your algae bloom and clear your water. Try those things AFTER we get your pool clear. Don't have your daughter swim if concerned...she certainly isn't swimming now anyway.

I know I say it until I am blue in the face, but you need a test kit of you don't have one already. Get a Taylor k-2005. The K-2006 is better but more involved. Every pool webstore sells them.

South TX Poolguy
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby South TX Poolguy » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 18:16

Your pool is around 5000 gallons. You said you replaced 3/4 of the water.

Sweep the algae and pour in 1 gallon of shock. If you bought household bleach pour in 2 gallons. That will raise the chlorine level to > 20ppm. And you wont have to use anything for measuring or have any partial containers.

Add the chemical near dusk. The next morning check the free chlorine level. If you have above the scale of your tester, you most likely have killed any living thing in the pool. You can repeat this step for a second night if you like.

When the dead stuff settles, vacuum it to waste if you can. If you have a cartridge filter toss it and get a new one.

Next you need to decide on a sanitizer, before you let your daughter near the pool.

I would reccommend a copper algicide to prevent future outbreaks. but you need to use something that will not aggrivate your daughters allergies.

Good Luck
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 21:26

Though chlorine alone can keep away algae, if one doesn't maintain the level with vigilance then algae will develop. For insurance, I would recommend a weekly maintenance dose of PolyQuat 60 algaecide (you can even use less than the weekly dose unless you have a lot of splash-out or backwashing). It won't have the side effects that copper can have if the pH goes up (staining or blonds with green hair).

Richard
h2ojoelrryspool

blow up pool

Postby h2ojoelrryspool » Thu 19 Jul, 2007 15:58

[b] try getting real pool or a real filter.... that for one thing would help... there are alot of these pools being popped up around here and they all have this rinky dink fliter/pump normally a small Cart filter*paper* and a 1/5th horse power pump..getting rid of algea in these style pools is easy.. clearing them, and getting people to run the cheesy filters is a pain... if your on city water,,,, pay the extra 10 bucks, and refill and this time run the filter... i test water all yr long, and have been doing and learning with my father for the last 24 yrs...... refill and chloronate,,, and read the fine print Most non chlor sanatisers need some form of chlorine at some point.....
Joe larrys pools supplies:)

n eed more write me..
lrrys pool supplies at aohell (dot)com

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”