Maintenance slipped - now it's green w/ brown dirt

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
HayEweHill
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex 9x18x52" with stock sand filter and pump

Maintenance slipped - now it's green w/ brown dirt

Postby HayEweHill » Thu 28 Jul, 2022 09:16

Intex 9x18 stock intex sand filter. 1st year with a pool, filled by the fire dept with lake water end of June. Was crystal clear after shocking and 3 days of filtration. Maintained by weekly shock and running filter on a 9hr cycle.

About 3 weeks ago I missed the weekly shocking by about 4 days- in that time we had hot (90's) humid weather and a few thunderstorms. Pool turned GREEN, like worse than the lake green. Water temp was around 80 degrees.
Triple shocked it - it didn't clear up much and now had a lot of brown "dust" at the bottom.
Ordered a vacuum set up (vacuum head & hose) - hooked hose directly to pump intake and filter vacuumed. Backwash/rinsed 3 times while vacuuming. I was hopeful. Nope. Next evening it was no better.
Shocked again (it had been almost 5 days since the triple). Nothing.
I've had the filter running constantly, runs at about 5 on the pressure scale, I backwash & rinse until clear1-2 times a day (still blows icky water into the pool when I switch back to filter)
Meanwhile my test strips (Chlorox brand) showed chlorine high, everything else not too far off. The recommendations from the app was to add PH reducer, shock and clarifier. Did that (minus the clarifier).
No change. Bought a Chlorox 5 drop test kit for chlorine & PH. (We live in a rural community - no pool store within an 1.5hours, local stores (Fleet Farm & Home Depot & WalMart) have very limited pool offerings.
Last night - Chlorine tested HIGH- orange. PH tested HIGH 8.2+ using the drop test kit. Found muriatic acid at Home Depot and added approx 30 oz. PH was 7.5 this morning. Chlorine still High/ORANGE. Pool still green, if I look hard enough I can see the bottom.
I'm ready to drain this thing and sell it and go back to a kiddie pool for the boys. :)

Help. Please.

HayEweHill
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex 9x18x52" with stock sand filter and pump

Re: Maintenance slipped - now it's green w/ brown dirt

Postby HayEweHill » Thu 28 Jul, 2022 10:55

I am looking at getting a FAS/DPD test kit ordered as I read other posts. :) Or contemplating draining for the year as I'm in Minnesota and time is running out for fun in the sun :) LOL
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Maintenance slipped - now it's green w/ brown dirt

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 28 Jul, 2022 14:30

You're on the right track ordering a FAS/DPD kit Taylor K2006c
At the moment you're just guessing
Let's have your numbers (CYA is very important) and we will help you out
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:

Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach) Liquid chlorine only adds salt
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”