Above ground pool CYA question

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
UmmScott
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Above ground pool CYA question

Postby UmmScott » Thu 11 May, 2023 17:21

Hey everyone. I have a 30x30 round approx 23,000 gallon pool.

Last year was my first year with a pool. I educated myself and learned a ton. I bought the taylor FAS testing kit and utilized it.

I learned the issues with using too much trichlor and I think I am seeing this now.

I opened the pool this week. Its very green with algae. First test I did was CYA and its at 95.
So my CYA is high.
Alkalinity is 100
PH is 7.6
I'm unsure if I should deal with shocking right now and maybe use Floc?
I think it would be a waste to shock with the CYA being so high.

Could I Floc with the pool being green, do a partial drain and refill to get CYA in check and then proceed with chlorine?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Above ground pool CYA question

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 12 May, 2023 01:25

I would do a partial drain and refill first, that way you get rid of half the algae and wont be wasting chemicals you later dump.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
UmmScott
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Re: RE: Re: Above ground pool CYA question

Postby UmmScott » Fri 12 May, 2023 06:37

Teapot1 wrote:I would do a partial drain and refill first, that way you get rid of half the algae and wont be wasting chemicals you later dump.
Thanks..

I will do a partial drain and refill.

Should I flocc at that point or would I be better off doing the SLAM after getting my CYA in check and not using flocc?

To daily chlorinate my pool I'll use trichlor in moderation along with sodium hypochlorite.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 13 May, 2023 12:31

Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
To reduce your CYA you have to do a partial drain and refill
Continuous use of Trichlor/Dichlor will raise your CYA which means you have to raise your chlorine level as well
Use Trichlor for when you need to chlorinate while on vacation or away for extended period of time
UmmScott
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby UmmScott » Sat 13 May, 2023 20:59

I did use alot of cal-hypo for shocking last year and at that time I was unaware of how to properly run my pool.
I am closely getting the hang of it.

I couldn't believe how much chlorine I had to use but that was because my CYA level was so high and I didnt know.

Do i need to worry about phosphate and calcium hardness levels?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 14 May, 2023 02:15

Phosphates can promote algae growth in high levels but at low levels not a problem
Calcium is necessary for plaster pools whereas liner or fibreglass it isn't necessary
High levels can cause scaling on the pool surface and affect the plumbing
Recommended Pool Levels
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Sun 14 May, 2023 08:22

Denniswiseman wrote:Phosphates can promote algae growth in high levels but at low levels not a problem

Whilst the guys on TFP may say that as their water is polluted anyway so not much they can do about it. Elsewhere getting phosphate levels down means when chlorine levels drop nothing much grows. Without chlorine the pool eco system takes hold and one thing feeds off another. Starve the water of phosphates and that process doesnt happen either.
My pool is often closed up for 10 months of the year without the water getting cloudy or algae swamp. With covid, didnt get there for 18 months, still clear when I opened up.
One of the benefits of Jollyjelly clarifier (other makes are available but may not have the same effect) is the reduction of phosphates whilst polising the water clarity (subject of clarity is slightly dependants on having the correct filtration rate and not a huge single speed pump on a tiny filter).
I am all for progressing the knowledge on pools and not just repeating bad and mis understood practices of old.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
UmmScott
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby UmmScott » Tue 16 May, 2023 12:05

Update.

I did a 2/3 drain and refill of my pool. Alot of the Once it filled I got my pump and filter running for a couple hours to turn the water over.

I tested and had:
CYA: 30
Alkalinity: 90
PH: 8.5
Calcium: 120
FC: 0
CC: 0

I have not had phosphates checked but my water was looking way better.
I first lowered PH to 7.5 via muriatic acid. Let that sit for an hour circulating.
Later that night I began my slam process.
I used 1Lb cal-hypo at 56%.
After an hour that night I had 29ppm free chlorine and 0 combined chlorine.

Checked this AM
FC: 22
CC: 1.0

I will test again this evening and maintain my slam level. My slam level was supposed to be 12 with my cya level so i overshot it but i will keep it in check.
Pics attached. Making progress. [img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230516/c556e8f9c7577ed2ebf757aef6dee169.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230516/08952f0cbe40cad06ff0b9358883cbb6.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230516/9217b644443d446688370e1f4f7f8c8c.jpg[/img]

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 16 May, 2023 13:18

Don't panic about overshooting but keep checking to make sure it doesn't drop below the slam level
UmmScott
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby UmmScott » Wed 17 May, 2023 06:48

Update...

Tested last night and my FC was 9 with CC 0.5

I raised my FC level last night to 22.

This morning my FC was 9 again with 1.0 CC. I used bleach to raise it again to 12 to 13.
Will check again this evening. Water is clearing up and filter pressure is going up. So far so good with my slam

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 17 May, 2023 07:01

It looks like it's doing it's job, keep checking
If the filter pressure is building up you may need to backwash to clear some of the dead algae
UmmScott
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby UmmScott » Tue 23 May, 2023 08:48

Update again. Pool is very blue and very clear.

I have backwashed twice. The first time the backwash wa was very very brown. The 2nd time I was fooled because I had no water flow so I backwashed. The actual cause was cotton sliming up the basket in the pump not the skimmer.
Cleaned that, theres still a bunch of cotton flying around in my area. Filter pressure is around 12psi to start. I think ill let it go and really try to catch more in the filter.

I decided to come down from the slam levels as 3 days in a row I had high FC and 0 to 0.5CC levels.

3 days post slam, currently using trichlor tabs and today I have...
CYA: 25
FC: 4
CC: 0
PH: 7.6
Alkalinity: 90
Calcium: near 200

I will use trichlor while monitoring my CYA and change methods as needed.
I think I have the hang of this!
I appreciate everything guys.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 23 May, 2023 10:50

Glad its all going in the right direction
UmmScott
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby UmmScott » Sat 27 May, 2023 08:08

So... I think I just had a realization and hope I interpreted this correctly.

We talk about "shocking" the pool being a process not a product.
Shocking simply means quickly raising our FC level and keeping it there breifly to "reset" and break up CC/chloramines correct?

That stated, if a pool is maintaining the proper FC level in relation to CYA and keeps 0 to 0.5ppm in CC/chloramines, then there is no need to shock? The FC is correct and is doing its job yes?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 27 May, 2023 12:58

Absolutely correct.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”