Should I drain and clean or add chemicals and water

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
bblack4jc
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex steel pole 18’ x 48’

Should I drain and clean or add chemicals and water

Postby bblack4jc » Sun 28 May, 2023 15:52

Should I drain and clean or add chemicals and water.

* Problem: I have fibromyalgia and did not get a chance to close my pool properly at the end of the summer. Husband drained it to 1 1/2 feet and the cover was not put on. There is algae which is green to dark green. There also looks to be a hundred or more tadpoles in it (I plan to catch as many as I can and release them in a pond.)
I was going to drain it all out and clean the liner then refill it. I would need to know what type of cleaner to use. However, after reading a good many posts I am not sure that is the best way to go about cleaning it.
What do you recommend is the best way to clean my pool? What products do you recommend?

I only have the small Clorox test kit. Perhaps I should get the test strips?

* FC: free chlorine level: ?
* TC: total chlorine level: 0
* pH: 7.2
* TA: total alkalinity level: ?
* CH: calcium hardness level : ?
* CYA: cyanuric acid level : ?(stabilizer / conditioner)
* My pool: Intex, 18 x 48, 6, 423 gallon
* Pool chemicals: I use chlorine tablets in a floatie, ph+, ph-, and shock when needed.
* My pump & filter: Krystal clear cartridge filter pump 1-500 GPH (110 - 120V), Size A filter cartridge.
* Other info: I have a robotic pool vacuum, a vacuum hose attachment and a skimmer that attaches to the pole. I ordered a soft brush attachment to help with cleaning. My husband is making a pool cover reel. That will help with keeping it clean and also the cover generates heat in the pool. I will try to remember to post that separately.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Should I drain and clean or add chemicals and water

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 29 May, 2023 04:28

By the sound of it and considering your health easiest and arguably the quickest and cheapest would be a drain and refill. No special chemicals needed just a good brush and wash down, any minor details you can deal with afterwards with some chlorine. Do buy yourself a better test kit though and tell hubby to put the cover on next time
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
bblack4jc
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex steel pole 18’ x 48’

Postby bblack4jc » Mon 29 May, 2023 17:02

Thank you for your response and advice Teapot1. That does seem like the best solution. Hubby just finished making a cover reel so that I can get it on and off by myself.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 30 May, 2023 01:26

Good to hear and let us know how you get on, here to answer any questions you have.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”