green water new to pools

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
MattB

green water new to pools

Postby MattB » Thu 02 Aug, 2007 12:21

I just purchased a home with a pool that is an above ground 15x33x4ft. deep. i took the cover off and started running the filter with a brand new cartridge. after a day of sun the water turned from clear with algae or dirt on bottom to an extremely cloudy green. i live in an area where the pool stores just sell chemicals, they do no testing beyond using the strips that i have.
any suggestions anyone has would be great.
thank you

Daniel mc Daid
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Daniel mc Daid » Fri 03 Aug, 2007 13:29

Hey There

You will need to get a good algicide from you store and use it in your pool make sure you get yourself the propper testing kit as well and make sure all you chemical levels are correct.

Postby Guest » Fri 03 Aug, 2007 20:53

Get your pH between 7.2-7.6
Check your TA and have it between 80-120
Make sure CYA is between 30-50.

You need chlorine.
I would SUPERchlorinate <SHOCK>

I use the BBB method.
That's Bleach, Baking Soda (Arm & Hammer), Borax (20 mule team).

Bleach is chlorine
Baking Soda for TA
Borax for pH.
^^That's It^^

If your CYA is LOW (which it may be) add a stabilizer/conditioner until it reads 30-50. If it's too HIGH, you will have to do a partial drain/refill til it comes down. A drain/refill is the only way to bring it down.

If you don't have any CYA, I would highly recommend you get some so you don't *waste* your chlorine or whatever you are using. Add it to an old pair of panty hose and hang it off your ladder. It takes awhile to dissolve, something like two days or so.

Run filter 24/7 until it clears up only turning off to clean cartridge.

You wanna hold atleast 15 ppm for 24 solid hours without a drop. If it does drop, ADD MORE BLEACH until it holds steady for the 24 hour period.

Post #'s so we can see where you are.

Algaecide is a preventative and NOT a cure.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sat 04 Aug, 2007 08:52

Agree 100% with above...learn the religion of BBB.

But first...BUY a good test kit and dump the strips..they are notoriously inaccurate. Your pool is worth thousands of dollars. Drop $50 and learn to test your water.

I also would stay faaar away from a pool store that uses strips to test. This is seriously amateur and a red flag for bad advice.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”