Chlor Brite?

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.

Chlor Brite?

Postby Guest » Wed 08 Aug, 2007 11:00

Hello. I was wondering if Chlor Brite (Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate) is the equivalent to Dichlor. I have recvd some excellent advice for using Dichlor to kill algae and raise my cya and by miracle my neighbor has a case of Chlor Brite and said I could have it. Just want to make sure it is the same thing before using. Thanks

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 08 Aug, 2007 11:44

Yes, that's Dichlor. And yes, Dichlor will add both chlorine and CYA at the same time. For every 1 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Dichlor, it will also add 0.9 ppm Cyanuric Acid (CYA). I assume your CYA level must be very low or at zero because you don't want to have too much, so be careful about how much you add. Once you get to your target CYA level (probably 30-50 ppm), then switch to an unstabilized source of chlorine such as bleach or chlorinating liquid (or the expensive Lithium Hypochlorite). You could also switch to Cal-Hypo, but that increases Calcium Hardness (CH), albeit slowly (every 1 ppm FC added from Cal-Hypo also increases CH by 0.7 ppm).

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”