Had black algea, now I don't know what it its---HELP!

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 31 Aug, 2007 09:36

Yes, I was also thinking that these new tan/brown spots might be metal stains since black algae usually doesn't grow that fast. Also, using an algaecide with metal in it (he said it had silver in it -- usually algaecide has copper since silver is more of a slow disinfectant while copper is the better algaecide).

If a Trichlor tab does not fade the tan/brown spots, then it's unlikely to be algae (or anything organic). Instead, it's more likely to be a metal stain. If you lower your pool's pH, that should reduce additional metal staining right away, but existing stains would need the stain remover recommendations as indicated. Usually, brown stains are iron (I have some in my own pool -- long story, I won't get into).

Richard

Kasey

Please inform me of this Vitamin C test?????

Postby Kasey » Mon 03 Sep, 2007 10:58

Still have the tan/brown spots-----tried Stain Out, looks somewhat lighter, but nowhere near gone. What s/b my next step, please?????
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Mon 03 Sep, 2007 16:08

If you now think it is a mineral/metal problem you can try this, but be careful with colored plaster trying to put only on stained spot.

Put 1/2 pound of pH reducer granules in a white sock. Shut off the filter. tape the sock to end of pole with duck-tape and drop the sock onto a stained area and leave in place for 15 minutes. Use the pole to move it around after 15 minutes. If improvement is seen, the problem is definitely minerals.

Lower the pH to 6.0-6.5, by the addition of muriatic acid. Let chlorine level drop and when doing this you can use PolyQuat 60 algaecide to keep algae away. Once the pH is lowered, use the brush to scrub the stains. Keep the filter operating and if possible, by pass. Periodically check the pH to see if more acid is required. The acid will etch the upper surface of the walls and by doing so will help remove the pool stains. The same etching would result from acid washing the pool. The lower the pH the faster the removal process. Once the stains are removed, add another dose of metal treatment, prior to raising the pH.
You can also start using metal treatment as prevenative in future

there is one other way to try, some metal treatments also come in a sock with it in granuler form and it sits on stain and removes.

Stains will rarely ever respond just to the addition of a liquid metal treatment.

Like I stated before you can contact builder about this for their info about your pool

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”