brown algae or sand on the bottom of my above ground

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 15:48

What floc product did you use? Others have reported that OMNI Liquid Floc Plus is good, but I'd like to know about others that have had good experiences.

asus4
I'm new here
I'm new here

Brown algae or sand on the bottom of my above ground

Postby asus4 » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 03:50

when i went to pool store i asked for floc. the bottle she gave me she said its the same as floc but they liked it better. Now when i looked at it the bottle says "alum" its made by pooltime . i'll try and upload a pic of it .

make sure ph is high before using it really dropped mine down
asus4
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby asus4 » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 04:06

here is the pic
0804090426.jpg
0804090426.jpg (32.61 KiB) Viewed 46509 times
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 06 Aug, 2009 21:54

OK, thanks. Alum sometimes works and sometimes doesn't depending on what you've got in the pool. It's one of the early flocs used. I'm glad it worked out for you. OMNI Liquid Floc Plus is a proprietary cationic polymer blend -- probably more expensive, but more likely to work in more situations.
asus4
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby asus4 » Fri 07 Aug, 2009 00:09

I was happy the way it worked. Actually the alum was $12.95 cdn and omni was $16.95cdn which was not much cheaper . I talked to some other people that had green and mustard algae and used the omni and they said it worked pretty good but nobody i know used the alum so i could not compare the difference . the only thing i know is that The Alum will give you a thicker layer of junk on the bottom of the pool than the omni.
atlantafalcon
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14' X 42" Intex above ground metal frame pool.

Postby atlantafalcon » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 18:10

I have the same problem with what we thought at first was sand at the bottom of the pool. We have an Intex 14' above ground with an Intex 8110 saltwater system. The stuff forms along slight ridges throughout the bottom and will eventually turn black and become more difficult to scrub-off if the bottom is left undisturbed. The pool store told us to clean the cells in the SW generator, since it was just deposits (calcium?). Cleaned them this weekend and the stuff is back.

After reading this thread I went outside and scrubbed a spot with a hand brush. I saw a tiny piece of green plant material floating, as I had after scrubbing in the past, and grabbed it to put in a container to carry to the pool store. This is algae of some sort. Whether it's brown, mustard, or black I don't know, but the stuff is annoying.
kaptn35
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18000 gal, Vinyl, Sand Filter

Postby kaptn35 » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 17:10

I have been battling this as well. I vacuumed one time via filter and the next day even after shocking it was coming back. Last night I vacuumed to waste.....Pool looked perfectly clear after doing this. I then turned on the water to start refilling and added Baking Soda to increase the Ph and Alkalinity (not a good move!). I then poured in Jacks Yellow Stuff Algacide to attack the Mustard Algae. Followed the directions percisely and after pouring that in I started to shock the pool with Dichlor Granules. WHOAAAA....pool turned a lime green like a fog bank rolling thru the water.

I could have copper elements in the pool? Not sure if Jacks Yellow stuff is a Copper Algacide because it says nothing on the bottle. Would the Baking Soda cause this reaction? I plan on going home tonight and shocking the pool since my free Chlorine is showing only 0.7. If I get an reaction then most likely a metal agent in the pool. If not then it was either of those chemicals that caused it.

My stats as of this morning:

FC 0.7
TC 1.6
CC 0.9
TA 139
PH 7.2
CA 30
Copper 0 (quite surprised at this)
Iron 0
Richard42

Postby Richard42 » Tue 06 Jul, 2010 20:58

What are the steps to keep this brown algae from even showing-up?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 02:21

First you need to completely eliminate the yellow/mustard algae as it is harder to get rid of. One must get behind light niches and under removable ladders and shock the pool with a Free Chlorine (FC) level that is 60% of the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level. Add poles and other items that go into the pool so they get shocked as well. Wash swimsuits.

Then after the algae is killed, you maintain an appropriate FC for the CYA level. Read the Pool School for more info including how to shock the pool, defeating algae, and the chlorine / CYA chart.

Also note the following chemical rules of fact that are independent of concentration of product or of pool size:

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm.

So even with a low 1 ppm FC per day chlorine usage, continued use of Trichlor pucks/tabs will increase the CYA level by over 100 ppm in 6 months if there is no water dilution. Since the active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) concentration is proportional to the FC/CYA ratio, higher CYA levels mean lower active chlorine that eventually gets to the point where algae can grow faster than chlorine can kill it. So getting algae is not a surprise when using such products.
rpuryear

Postby rpuryear » Thu 29 Jul, 2010 17:20

The sand is so fine that the filter is having a hard time trapping it , so vacuum it to waste!
neebassoci

Postby neebassoci » Thu 19 Aug, 2010 22:06

I have been having the same problem with a brown, very fine, sediment-like substance that has been appearing in the bottom of my above ground Intex pool nearly every day. My filter recently quit working. A neighbor, who was pitching his Intex pool into the trash, gave me his filter, which still worked quite well. I thought I did a thorough job of cleaning his pump and then hooked it up to my pool. Shortly thereafter, the sediment began to appear. Obviously I had introduced an alien species into my pool from his filter. After repeated efforts to vacuum the sediment through the filter, I realized that the sediment was passing through the filter without being captured. I caught a glimpse, just out of the corner of my eye, of what appeared to be a pale brownish plume shooting from the pump outlet and back into the pool as I was trying to vaccum the stuff out. I finally discovered that the cure was to apply basic physics to the problem. I used a large dose of algicide afterwhich I bought about 3 feet of PVC pipe and 15 feet of flexible tubing and hooked it all together. I submerged the whole assembly in the pool until it was full of water. I left PVC laying on the bottom of pool while I plugged the flexible end with my hand. I then lifted the flexible end out of the pool, removed my hand and, viola, I had a very effect siphon with which to vacuume out the sediment. The siphon sucked the sediment out of the pool and directly to the ground, ensuring that it would not be reintroduced to the pool water. I have done this for a couple of days now and most of the sediment seems to be gone. In couple of weeks I will drain the pool for the winter and will thoroughly sanitize the filter so that I don't have this problem next summer.
mrmarti

Postby mrmarti » Tue 20 Aug, 2013 18:20

I have brown substance that will not brush up. It is not sand. It is only mostly in the deep end of my pool. It seems like it is stuck to the liner. The robo vac will not remove it. It seems crusty.
LILLY

Postby LILLY » Thu 19 Sep, 2013 11:36

hi i am having the same problem first i thought it was sand so we uesed the vacuum and it wasnt doing any thing cuz it escaped it so i got the hose of the pool vacuum closed the filter pump pumping back to the pool and opend the filter s that the water will get out on the grass and attached the very thin attachment for my home vacuum and went into the pool very slowly making sure not to move this brown stuff and i vacuumed it out of the pool i did this two times i have one more time and the pool will be free the thing is when you keep the filter working back to the pool it brings it all back in good luck guys

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”