Pool start up with horrible algea

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Mr C

Pool start up with horrible algea

Postby Mr C » Sun 13 Apr, 2008 22:20

I really let my pool go all winter;it wasn't covered. Now it is very green and dirty with 1 foot visibility. I really don't know how to start the clean up. I have brushed the sides and bottom and added a triple dose of algeacide. I haven't started the pump and filtering yet. Please help!

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 13 Apr, 2008 23:36

Most algaecide is better at prevention then fighting an existing algae bloom. Read this post for info on clearing an algae-filled pool. Take heart by looking at this thread that shows a pool let go over the winter and cleared within days by chlorine alone.

To start off, you should have a good test kit -- either the Taylor K-2006 you can get at a good price here or the TF100 test kit from tftestkits(dot)com here which has 36% more volume of reagents so is comparably priced "per test" to the Taylor kit (and uses reagents from Taylor).

Richard
petroskyk

pool algae

Postby petroskyk » Fri 25 Apr, 2008 10:44

Hi, i opened my pool and it was green, very green, shocked it good, didn't work, had water tested at pool place, said I my alkalitity lever was nill, so added the proper chemical no results ,so bought a very good algaeside, has been two days and pool is still very green, this is getting very exspensive, can you help me, losing faith in pool store, thank you kathy
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 25 Apr, 2008 11:29

Kathy,

What did you use to "shock" the pool? What brand of chlorine and what was the name of it (if you still have the package and can read the ingredients, that's even better). One dose of chlorine will not usually be enough since it will just get consumed trying to kill algae so if there's a lot of algae it will take a lot of chlorine. However, you do not want to use Dichlor (or Trichlor) for shocking and you need to be careful if using Cal-Hypo unless your Calcium Hardness (CH) isn't too high already.

Also, prior to the algae outbreak, what kind of chlorine had you been using? Trichlor pucks/tabs? Dichlor granules? Cal-Hypo Powder? Chlorinating liquid or bleach?

You really need to get yourself a good test kit -- the Taylor K-2006 you can get at a good online price here or the TF100 test kit from tftestkits(dot)com here with the latter having 36% more volume of reagents so is comparably priced "per test".

You can read more about how to clear you pool from algae using chlorinating liquid or unscented bleach (6% Clorox Regular or off-brand Ultra) here. The forum that has this sticky has lots of people who can help you -- I'm happy to help you here, but there are many more at TroubleFreePool if you want more people to support you (and respond more quickly).

Richard
petroskyk

pool problems

Postby petroskyk » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 07:51

Well I did what you said, I bought 8 gallons of clorox bleach and poured them in yesterday, today there is no change, if anything it's getting darker, what next??
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 12:58

If you added chlorine and it is still green, even getting more intense in color, then this sounds like copper, possibly added from the algaecide you used -- do you remember the brand of algaecide or can you read its ingredients? If it's copper, then using a metal sequestrant and lowering the pH if it's high will help. However, it is best to avoid adding copper-based algaecides in the first place.

You never posted your numbers. Did you get a good test kit? Do you know the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level in the pool? If the CYA is very high, then it takes more chlorine to combat algae and isn't usually worth it. Instead, a partial drain and refill to lower the CYA level is what is needed. Since we don't know any of your numbers, it's hard to know what to do.

I suspect since your alkalinity was very low and that your pH was also low and that this came from continued use of Trichlor tabs/pucks without adjusting for pH by using pH Up. Did you leave Trichlor tabs/pucks in a feeder all winter without testing or adjusting the pH? Low pH could have corroded the copper in your gas heater if you have one. When you then raised the pH and TA, it made the copper even more green. The chlorine wasn't effective because the pool had mostly copper, not algae. At least this is one possibility, but without a good set of numbers it is hard to know.

Can you at least get your pool store to test your water for metals -- they usually test for iron and copper?

Richard

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”