Prevent algae bloom after removing winter cover?

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
KazooTom

Prevent algae bloom after removing winter cover?

Postby KazooTom » Mon 26 May, 2008 08:47

When I remove my winter pool cover the water is slightly cloudy but clear enough to seen the bottom easily. No sign of of a green tint or algae. But within a few hours that water turns a dark algae green and requires the standard treatment of 48hrs of shock, etc. This started happening about 2-3 yrs. ago but in the years before it generally remained clear .

I feel I must be doing something wrong either in winterizing or before I remove the cover. I close with a 1lb of shock, 1lb of oxidizer, 1qt. of algaecide, and 1qt of Suspend-All to hold metals for a 12K gal pool. I do nothing in the spring before opening except bring up the water level and after the cover is off adjust the PH before adding chemicals.. It's when I'm waiting for the PH to balance that the algae blooms. This spring "bloom" is becoming a hassle. Any ideas how to avoid it?

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 26 May, 2008 15:34

If you can, add some chlorine during the winter. If you can't (say, because it's frozen over), then add it immediately upon opening, preferably before the water gets warmer. The sunlight exposure accelerates a pending algae bloom; adding chlorine will help prevent that. Having chlorine in the water even before adjusting pH or TA or CH is key. Of course, if the chlorine level is made too high, then the pH test won't be valid so you'll need to wait until the chlorine level drops below 10 ppm FC (if it gets that high) before adjusting for pH.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”