green pool

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
jbrodt

green pool

Postby jbrodt » Wed 28 May, 2008 16:28

Ok.... So i've read alot on here and i know, i need to get my own test kit that is the k 2006. I'll get right on it. So i bought a house a couple of months ago and the pool was filthy. I spend a lot of time raking out the leaves and filtering the water. I've cleaned the filter twice already and feel i need to do it again because the pressure is back up to 30-35. So i got it to where it looked nice and clean and was even swimming in it weekly. The second time i cleaned the filter i went to leslies and had them test the water. They had me add acid to it to lower the ph and add chlorine to kill some of the green that had started to apear rapidly. I ran the filter overnight after the shocking. I went back a couple of days later and had them test again. Everything was fine, except the chlorine was low, so he had me buy the big bucket of chlorobrite and add chlorine to the pool. Seemed fine. I was gone for five days and instructed my wife to add a specific amount of chlorine to the pool while i was gone, when i came back the pool was green and cloudy. I tested the pool (my test kit only tests for chlorine and ph) ph was good, but chlorine was low. I added chlorobrite to the pool per instructions on the bucket and let the filter run overnight. The next day, no change. I had my wife take a sample to leslies and they said that the chlorine was too high to test and that i had to stablize the chlorine before doing anything. Please help me.
What should i do to stablize the chlorine, or do i need to?
What should i do once i stablize the chlorine?
Is chlorobrite even worth the $100 bucks i spent?
I've read to just use 6% bleach, it's cheaper and does the same job?
Any suggestions.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 29 May, 2008 16:00

I certainly hope the "chlorobrite" you are talking about isn't Chlor Brite as shown here. This is the most irresponsible chlorine product on the market as it claims to be useful for shocking, but it's Dichlor. That means that for every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) that is added, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 9 ppm which is the last thing you want to do if the CYA level is already high which is likely if one gets algae. To clear a green pool, you can learn more here.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”