Total Alkalinity High PH Normal

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
AMKT13

Total Alkalinity High PH Normal

Postby AMKT13 » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 22:13

We tested our above ground pool after clearing it of Algae. The water is still cloudy. Our test strips say that the TA is high and the PH is normal. How do we lower the TA without effecting the levels of everything else? What chemicals do we need to add? :(

Re: Total Alkalinity High PH Normal

Postby Guest » Thu 31 Jul, 2008 01:15

Personally I wouldn't trust the results from test strips. They give you a ballpark figure but not an accurate number.

If your pH stays put I wouldn't worry about TA. A high TA usually means the pH will not be stable.

To lower TA you use muriatic acid or pH down but that also lowers the pH. If you lower both you can then raise pH through aeration. Running a water feature or waterfall will cause the pH to rise and the TA to remain where it was. You can also let the pH raise on it's own and when it does, again add acid or pH down to bring the pH back down along with lowering the TA more.l

Talking in numbers, if you had a pH of 7.5 and TA of 140 you would have normal pH and a TA somewhat high. I wouldn't do anything unless the pH refused to stay close to the 7.5. Then I would follow the routine of lowering both and raising pH until the TA was down.

AMKT13 wrote:We tested our above ground pool after clearing it of Algae. The water is still cloudy. Our test strips say that the TA is high and the PH is normal. How do we lower the TA without effecting the levels of everything else? What chemicals do we need to add? :(

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”