Safety cover causing green pool?

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
ALBANYPOOL1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x32 in ground

Postby ALBANYPOOL1 » Mon 04 May, 2009 20:04

This is my second season opening my pool after installing a new safety cover. Last year the pool was thoroughly green; I was told I opened the pool too late, and the sun had caused algae growth. This year, I shocked the pool twice during the winter. I opened the pool 30 days earlier than last year; still found the water was dark green upon opening. Is this a problem common to safety covers? Any input would be appreciated.

Pooltech32
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Pooltech32 » Tue 05 May, 2009 20:52

No, this a common issue with pools that are not looked after all winter, my suggestion would be to check the pool every couple of weeks to see where your chlorine levels are, if it drops below 3ppm I would add a cup of granular to bring it back up to 5ppm. it takes minutes a week to save your self hours in the spring
Pool repair guy
Kevin Howes

Postby Kevin Howes » Sat 16 May, 2009 11:58

I have the same problem. 8 years with black cover, no problem, 2 years with safety cover, green both springs. I don't yet know the solution, but I'd love to hear some.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 16 May, 2009 12:58

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you can maintain some chlorine in the pool over the winter, then you will avoid the opening problems completely. If you can't do that, then at least keep chlorine in the pool as long as you can, close it up after adding PolyQuat 60 algaecide, and add chlorine as soon as you can in the spring before the water warms up.

Other approaches to avoid algae growth even when the chlorine level gets to zero include the use of 50 ppm Borates in the pool and the use of a phosphate remover (at extra cost).

Richard
Tim Grant

Postby Tim Grant » Sat 30 May, 2009 13:38

Same problem here. 42,000 gallon pool, 2nd year with safety cover, seen cleaner, clearer water in the Mississippi. So, to keep chlorine up in the winter just dump liquid chlorine in every once in a while? Doesn't matter that the pump isn't running?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 30 May, 2009 14:05

If you add any chemicals to the water over the winter, you need to do so with the pump running. You should add chemicals slowly over a return flow to ensure thorough mixing. If you can't do that, then for chlorinating liquid or bleach (but absolutely never for acid) you can slowly pour into the skimmer with the pump running). So in climates where it doesn't freeze so you aren't draining down the pool and turning off the pump, you can just add chlorine while the pump is running.

If you are in freezing climates, then you can't do this and would need to use the other approach of closing and opening the pool when the water is as cold as possible (preferably 50F or below).
andrrewdamien
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby andrrewdamien » Mon 21 May, 2012 08:26

Kevin Howes wrote:I have the same problem. 8 years with black cover, no problem, 2 years with safety cover, green both springs. I don't yet know the solution, but I'd love to hear some.

Pacific pool safety cover design to protect the investment you have with you. Pacific pool safety cover installation is complete, will help prevent accidental intrusion, children, pets and harmful to small animals and debris. Your charm Builder can help you every step of the way, from the cover design and material selection to installation quality.
paint marker
rosalind
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Private pool with 3.7 × 7.3 m

Postby rosalind » Thu 14 Jun, 2012 02:32

ALBANYPOOL1 wrote:This is my second season opening my pool after installing a new safety cover. Last year the pool was thoroughly green; I was told I opened the pool too late, and the sun had caused algae growth. This year, I shocked the pool twice during the winter. I opened the pool 30 days earlier than last year; still found the water was dark green upon opening. Is this a problem common to safety covers? Any input would be appreciated.

Well, I recommend to use sun-blocking safety cover. It will stop the growth of Algae from the pool. Reducing repulsive green stains that are intensely tough to remove by stopping the growth of algae before it starts with a pool safety cover.
MikeH

pool cover algae

Postby MikeH » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 20:45

I had that problem for years, began laying tarp between water and the safety cover. It blocks the sunlight prevents algae growth. Pool opens up clean with only adding a couple gallons in the corners once over the winter and our pool is covered Sept - May. No need to over chlorinate.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”