Green Pool for over a month

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
virginia

Postby virginia » Thu 14 May, 2009 09:15

I just found out, the 2 "jugs" were 2 gallons of Pool Brand Algaecide 40.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 14 May, 2009 12:14

That looks like a "linear quat" which is a standard inexpensive algaecide that can cause foaming (as opposed to PolyQuat which is more expensive and does not foam). It does not appear to have any copper in it. If you still have the boxes, you can read the ingredients. I believe it will just say "Alkyl (60%C14, 25%C12, 15%C16) dimethylbenzyl ammonium chloride" and you won't see any "copper ..." in it.

If there are metals in the water, then a metal sequestrant could help. Lowering the pH some should have it get a little more clear -- if that happens, then it's likely the color is from metals though I don't know (from your descriptions) where they came from.
boppoolservices

Postby boppoolservices » Sat 16 May, 2009 17:45

hi,you have to start off with new filter media, otherwise the green will just go round and round,if it is clogged up,also check your spider gasket is still glued down.phil
virginia

Postby virginia » Tue 19 May, 2009 11:15

Finally blue, still a bit cloudy but can see the 3rd step now. NEW pool company installed SWG yesterday. They also looked at the sand in the filter and said it looked "Like New", so did not replace. Said it's just to take a little more time to get rid of the dead algae. Also, pump pressure is perfect.

Thanks everyone for their help! And I'm ordering my OWN test kit TODAY =)
virginia

Postby virginia » Tue 19 May, 2009 15:32

I do have a quick question: WHY would one pool store show the CYA to be 90 one day, then 200 a few days later. Yet pool store #2 shows CYA to be at 50 (3 different days/tests)

Not sure which to believe, and anxiously await my new test kit and I can see for myself.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 20 May, 2009 04:25

Pool stores are notoriously bad about pool water testing. The CYA test in particular seems difficult for them to do. If you get your own good test kit, the Taylor K-2006 or the TF100 from tftestkits.net, then you'll know what's really going on for yourself.
virginia

Postby virginia » Wed 20 May, 2009 15:10

Thank you, chem geek, for your advice. My test was ordered and (quickly) mailed yesterday, I expect it soon and can't wait to run my own tests.

Water continues to be cloudy. Blue, but cloudy. And COLD. It frosted here yesterday and today, feels more like March than May. brrrr. And NO I don't have a heater and NO i'm not getting one, I've spent enough money on the pool for a lifetime.
virginia

Postby virginia » Tue 26 May, 2009 11:22

It's a swimming pool miracle. Blue and clear. Can finally see drain in deep end :thumbup:

Thanks to all for your help and advice. Also, received TF100 test kit in the mail last week, VERY NICE!
Thanks again!!
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 26 May, 2009 13:53

Now that you have your test kit, check the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level and maintain an appropriate Free Chlorine (FC) level to keep algae from growing. Read the Pool School for more info on how to maintain the pool.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”