Problems with zeobrite or zeobest

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
azpoolpros
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Dont have a pool but care for 50 a week.

Problems with zeobrite or zeobest

Postby azpoolpros » Fri 22 May, 2009 18:51

Every pool that I have ever serviced with zeobest, or zeobrite, has had nothing but problems.

Example:

Drained a pool due to green water plus it was very hard. with new water I raised cya to 60ppm and shocked and it was good for 3 weeks when all the sudden the pool turned green. told my customer must be the sand, he say's "no no I just replaced it with the world famous zeobest a few months ago". so I says ok and shocked the pool super hard using trichlor, even though it had like 10ppm+ chl. -- 1 week later the pool looked the same so I took the liberty to open the filter and look at the media and it was that zeobest stuff, had a bunch of clumps, looked and felt like clay, so I removed as much of the clay stuff as I could and the next week the pool looked great. But 1 week later it was green again...with 10ppm+ chl. Would have like to have figured it out but the customer fired me, maybe they thought I had somehow caused this problem.

I have had many other cases like this. I know not to use special additives with zeobest like algaecides and clearifier as this just adds to the problem. Just recently I had the same problem as above, but this time instead of recommending to the customer to have the sand changed I tried to "treat" the media with the annual treatment and I think it just made the problem worse.

So if you have had problems like this please share, I feel like I'm the only person that hates this stuff. Is there something I'm overlooking????

Thanks!

Sparkling Pool Service
Mesa, AZ

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”